Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
alhashem
New Contributor

Fortigate failover internet over 2 PPPOE connection

Hi

i want to do a failover internet connection on 2 PPPoE internet connection and i do not want to use the default route that i will learn through PPPoe server. i want to see if my configuration will work on fortios 5.4.5:

1-setup pppoe username and password on the interfaces

2-DO NOT check the retrieve default gateway

3-create a 2 default route with same distance and dynamic-gateway feature enabled in CLI

4-create 2 link monitor on wan1 and wan2 (the interfaces that work on pppoe mode) and just set the srcinterface and server and protocol (i do not specify the gateway because i do not know the gateway ip and it can change over time)

4- create the related policies

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

You got most of it already. If you want a failover you want to set a priority higher on the backup side of the default route.
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

You find the priority setting in Static route>Advanced. "priority" in FortiOS means "cost" so higher priority would denote the backup route. If you set the priority equal then traffic would use wan1 or wan2 alternatingly (load balance).

If you put wan1 and wan2 into a zone (Network>Interface>New) then you'd have 2 advantages:

1- only one set of policies instead of two

2- in case of failover, the session does not need to be re-established as the zone interface has not changed, only one of it's members

But, to be honest, I haven't tested if a zone can be used with PPPoE.

BTW, you would benefit from an update to v5.4.9 - generally, not for this particular problem.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
alhashem

will my static routes and link monitor configuration work???

i was not able to load balance traffic on the routes that i learned from PPPOE . i do not know if it was fortios bug or not. so i decide to create static route indivualy

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors