Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
camar0
New Contributor

TRACEROUTE - for one ip only shows that IP as the 1 hop?

So i have been trying to get one external ip for a VPN tunnel but having phase one issues

So i removed all tunnel settings/static route and addresses

I went to firewall CLI and did a execute ping and it got all responses

then did a traceroute and noticed:

TEST # execute traceroute 204.1.1.1 traceroute to 204.1.1.1 (204.1.1.1), 32 hops max, 3 probe packets per hop, 72 byte packets 1 204.1.1.1 0.544 ms 0.274 ms 0.177 ms

how is this possible to only show itself?

I can easily change last digit to .2 or even do 8.8.8.8 and i get a full hop list

But why does this one ip not give proper hops?

I think this is also possible why my VPN has issues when i do set it up

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Please explain where 204.1.1.1 lives. If it resides on the FGT(?) on the opposite side, the tunnel is likely still up. "get vpn ipsec tun sum" would tell you if it's up or down.

camar0
New Contributor

204.1.1.1 is in another US state.  The tunnel does not exist anymore, i deleted all references to it 

get vpn ipsec tun sum   does not show the VPN anymore

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

There is something you are missing. 204.1.1.1 does not PING on the public Internet, so it is connected with your Fortigate somehow.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
amargys

run the below command to see if you that ip address configured on your firewall

show | grep -f 204.1.1.1

Toshi_Esumi

Based on the latency, it's not on the local FGT but a device locally connected. I would start chasing down along the interface in default route direction by checking its MAC address. Chances are one of local devices has this IP configured by accident or something.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors