Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ninocrudele
New Contributor

Losing Configuration in Linux

Hello,

I am using Forticlient in Kali Linux, it works great, after a restart (three days ago), the Forticlient started losing the configuration anytime I restart the system.

Before was perfect.

What can I do or check to avoid this behaviour?

Thank you

Kind regards,

Nino 

7 REPLIES 7
SteveG
Contributor III

Which config is going missing?

ninocrudele

Hi Steve,

I create a profile in the settings and lose this profile, all blank and no more profiles.

Thank you

Nino 

SteveG

Are you using EMS or a FortiGate to manage the profiles (FC Settings)? Maybe the FC has registered to a FortiGate which is wiping the config, I've experienced this before. Had to disable the FC listening service on the FortiGate.

ninocrudele

Hi Steve,

thank you for your answer.

How can I check which one I am using?

Regards,

Nino 

SteveG

I wasn't aware there was an official forticlient for Linux, although one was released last week it doesn't yet support VPN. Which makes me wonder what client you're actually using. 

Two ways of doing this, in the FortiClient GUI it will show you under the 'Compliance & Telemetry' setting which device is managing your linux box.

Alternatively you could use tcpdump to see if your PC is communicating with anything on TCP 8013 which is the default port for FC management. 

On the Windows version of FortiClient you see a log entry when a 'new config has been applied' from EMS/FortiGate so might also be worth looking back through the FC log file.

moinsen
New Contributor

Hi,

same issue with my Linux FortiClient SSLVPN 4.0.2323 on Ubuntu 16.04.

My profiles will be stored in ~/.fctsslvpnhistory but this file is overwritten with a default one (which is almost empty), and then my profiles are gone.

I am keeping a backup which I can copy over this file, but this is just a workaround. 

Any idea when the file is overwritten and why?

iambarry

Hi,

I'm also running Linux FortiClient SSLVPN 4.0.2323, but on Ubuntu 18.04.  I have exactly the same problem as described above.  I can exit and restart the client and it remembers my saved configuration information.  However if I reboot my machine, the configuration is missing.

Anyone know if there are any updates on resolving this problem?

Also, I would guess from its name that  ~/.fctsslvpnhistory is only the history of what was connected to.  I can't seem to find any other file where the configuration is actually stored.  Anyone know where the config should be?  Is it an xml file somewhere?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors