Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sw2090
Honored Contributor

renaming ipsec phase1 - did i find a bug?

Hi,

just recently had this on our FMG:

I had to rename an IPSec Phase 1 Interface.

I am able to do this in our FMG. 

FMG though lost its mappings afterwards (but I can live with that - I did rename the interface so how should the mappings know that?). Would be nice to have that mappings are autocorrected upon renaming interfaces - but that's not the point here.

The Point is: FMG let's you rename the IPSec Phase1 and it does accept it. Thus it's unable to then roll the changes out to the corresponding FGT. Accoarding to the log the order FMG does this is the problem.

FMG first sets up a new IPSec Phase1 with the new name and the params of the old ones and then deletes the old one afterwards. This has to rise conflicts because the old Phase1 is still using the objects as long as it exists.

Atm I see no other way than to do it manually on the FGT and then retrieve config on the FMG.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
5 REPLIES 5
chall_FTNT
Staff
Staff

What firmware version are you running on the FortiManager?  What you have reported sounds like bug id 417360 which was resolved in 5.4.3 & 5.6.0.

Bug Summary: device level ipsec phase1 or phase2, rename "gateway name" will create a new entry instead of update existing config

(Fix: in the backend, instead of using "set", use "update" to change this parameter)

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
sw2090
Honored Contributor

My FMG runs v5.4.4-build1225 171005 (GA)

I renamed the phase1-interface. FMG creates new phase1 with new name instead of updating the existing and runs into conflicts with various objects that are in use by the existing phase1 then.

Yes sounds like that bug you mentioned - seems not to be fixed in this Firmware yet

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
chall_FTNT

Best to open a support ticket then so that Fortinet can do more investigation into your issue, in particular why that bug fix did not address that behavior.

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I now have opened a ticket with Fortinet TAC. We'll see what they say....

-- 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

I had a remote Session with Fortinet TAC today. We did not yet solve the problem but we were able to find out more. In fact the FMG did roll out the changes on all phase 1s on that FGT except one.

So this seems only to affect P1s that use peers since that's the only difference.

We workarounded the conflict by renaming the peers on the FGT manualle and then roll out. This eliminated the conflict and the rollout worked fine.

TAC is still investigating wether this is still tha mentioned bug and maybe find a solution.

-- 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors