Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rocklee44
New Contributor

Increase maximum message size

Hi all,

This is my environment : Exchange server 2013 CU19 + Fortimail 400E Firmware version : v5.3,build653,180328 (5.3.12 GA)  operates as gateway mode

Outgoing messages : from Exchange server go straight to internet not via Fortimail

Incoming messages : are scanned by Fortimail before come to Exchange server

I want to increase maximum message size from 10MB (default) to 20MB, I followed document to edit Mail Settings --> Domains and Profile session but it doesn't work.

Incoming messages larger then 10MB are rejected "The response from the remote server was:

552 5.2.3 Message size (20611500) is over limit (10485760)

"

What should I do ? Please give me some advices , thank you very much.

I'm sorry, I tried to upload images but it doesn't show up, I will try again.

21 REPLIES 21
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Do you have an IP policy with a catch all (0.0.0.0/0) that contains the session profile with the 20MB limit?

rocklee44

This is my IP policy setting

abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Jack

rocklee44 wrote:

Incoming messages larger then 10MB are rejected "The response from the remote server was:

552 5.2.3 Message size (20611500) is over limit (10485760)

"

For incoming messages, fortimail will check both domain settings and session profile matching your traffic. Whether you don't provide session profile or IP policy matched as Bromont_FTNT said, the 10MB default value will be compared with the size limit you have defined in the domain configuration under "advanced settings". Lower value will be applied.

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
rocklee44

Hello Bromont_FTNT and abelio, thanks for your replies, I know that fortimail will check both domain settings and session profile matching my traffic, I defined both of them and applied session profile to IP policy. I'm sorry something went wrong with image upload feature so my images cannot show up and I can only attach 1 image file 1 time. Please view my domain setting in attach file.

rocklee44

This is session profile which is applied to my ip policy

Disable / Enable IP Policy or restart Fortimail doesn't make it work too.

Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

Is the client IP part of the 'Exchange IP Pool' group? Then it would hit 10MB limit since there's no Session Profile.

Can you attach the logs?

rocklee44

jwilkins wrote:

Is the client IP part of the 'Exchange IP Pool' group? Then it would hit 10MB limit since there's no Session Profile.

Can you attach the logs?

i don't understand what you mean , 'Exchange IP Pool' is a IP pool list my Exchange server ip address, there is Session Profile (Inbound from inter... - my IP policy setting picture above) applied to IP Policy, please also view my session profile SMTP Limits config as above picture. When incoming message bigger than 10MB is rejected I got no logs from History , AntiSpam , Antivirus , except one entry in "Event" , please view event in attach picture.

abelio

Could you post please the cross log  for that specific event you've posted?

History log has IDs of matched ACL:IP policy: RCPT policy

That info could clarify this point

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Bromont_FTNT

Destination should be 0.0.0.0/0 or the Fortimail IP

Currently IDs 3 and 4 aren't matched (for incoming) so it will use a default session profile with 10meg limit.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors