Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TJNIHAL
New Contributor

Which Fortigate device should i buy?

Hi,  I am looking for a perfect FortiGate device for one of my small office we have two internet line one is 200mpbs up/down another 25mpbs down/5mbps up and average of 15Gbps daily internet usage.  45 workstation (growing 10 devices by year)

2 IPsec connections 

10 Forticlient VPN

We already have 60D for one of branch office Can I buy the same 60D? or any other best suggestion Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KPS
New Contributor III

Hi!

I think, it would be better to buy a 60E, which should be sufficient.

TJNIHAL
New Contributor

Hi Ede/all,

Thanks for your wonderful response,

Just confirmed with my local vendor as 60D models has stopped and got the quotation for 60E

[align=left]FG-60E-BDL (1 year bundle) = 45,430.00   FG-60E-BDL-900-36(3 year Bundle) = 75,225[/align][align=right] [/align]

60E seems perfect for my requirement even the pricing will you suggest 3 year bundle? Thanks

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

I would have recommended a FG-60E as well until I saw the number of workstations behind it. EOL for your device (not this model as a whole) will be in, maybe, 4 years, then supporting 75 hosts. This is IMHO a bit too much as the CPU in a 60E is a SoC (system on chip) type. CPU power is needed for session setup and tear down, routing, NAT, and SSL inspection (which you cannot live without - if not today then in 4 years).

Difficult to recommend the 100E as the next bigger model as my feeling is that it's a 60E in disguise, only with more physical ports. The 200E OTOH comes at a significant higher price.

So maybe you should go with a 60E and plan budget for an upgrade in 2-3 years. Who knows, for an F-series model :)

Regarding logging, I tend to stay away from Fortigate 'add-ons'. They come at a high price and continually higher service contract costs. Better get a FortiAnalyzer VM (which is expandable) if you really need log analytics. If not, logging to memory will do on a diskless Fortigate.

Just my 2 cents.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

yes, go for the 3 year bundle, as then the service is discounted as much as the hardware. If you buy the service separately other discounts (for the reseller) apply and you might end up near the list price.

Additionally, it protects you from price raises in between. Which will happen for sure.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors