Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
riaanwest
New Contributor

Application Sensor not blocking traffic

Hi Guys,

I have a firewall rule allowing all ports to all destinations, but I include an application sensor that blocks smtp as an override. When I telnet from a server to an internet host on port 25 the traffic is allowed.

Is there any reason why its is allowed and not blocked as intended to?

Please see screenshot attached.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Nicholas_Doropoulos
Contributor

I think the best starting point would be to confirm that the traffic is being matched by the policy you have attached the Application Control profile to. What do the logs say? Have you run a diag sniffer packet?

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3

NSE5, CCSE, CCNA R&S, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, MTA Security, ITIL v3
hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello riaanwest,

What you are doing is blocking the SMTP protocol. The Application Control module identify a session by its payload, not the port number. If you send a Telnet packet on port 25, it will not be identified as SMTP and will be allowed to go through. If you want to block port 25, you just need to create a firewall policy that blocks the port number 25. Thanks.

Homing

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors