Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jeff_Roback
Contributor

SD-WAN without QoS?

It seems strange to me that Fortinet is doing such a big push for SD-WAN in the Fortigate, but still doesn't appear to have much to offer in the way of QoS enforcement.   I understand where they're going and it seems like a good idea....  ,lots of other folks are pushing wan-edge devices that  can't compare with the Fortigate's security mitigation capabilities,  but if Fortinet implies that the Fortigate can handle the true QoS management  needed for SD-WAN with the currently feature set of a few priority queues with policing... it seems like customers are going to end up pretty unhappy with Fortinet.

Am I the only one that sees this as a major limitation of the platform?    Seems like without more advanced congestion management functionality with Weighted Fair Queuing(WFQ), and congestion avoidance functionality such as Weighted Random Early Detect (WRED), the Fortigate just ins't positioned well to be an edge device managing SD-WAN.

What are others doing for more advanced qos management?   Dropping in routers in front of the Fortigate?   I know that more advanced data center switches like the HP A-series can do some of this... but it really seems like the WAN edge is where this should be happening.

Jeff

Jeff Roback

Jeff Roback
1 REPLY 1
dagar74
New Contributor

Bump as I would like to see this as well.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors