Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
z37
New Contributor

How to assign a fixed ip address from gui

Is it possible to give the computers a fixed IP address Through the graphical interface ?       The version of the device is FortiWiFi-60B 3.00-b0753(MR7 Patch 9) Is there a newer version?

8 REPLIES 8
boneyard
Valued Contributor

i assume you picked something up from ebay or were handed something? i would try to look for something newer, this device had end of life in 2015 and support upto FortiOS 4.3. Currently 6.0 is the latest, and 5.6 is kinda stable.

you want to have the DHCP server give out specific IPs to specific clients? you gotta look at the DHCP server reservation settings for that.

CLI: http://firewallguru.blogspot.nl/2008/03/dhcp-address-reservations.html

GUI: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1094287-how-to-reserve-ip-address-in-fortigate-40c-with-os-5-...

those answers are for other versions, so you might have to look around a little, but it shows the general idea.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

You can always get the docs for your OS version on docs.fortinet.com, even without any valid contract. Look for 'Older versions' and then the 'FortiOS Handbook'.

v3.7 is a bit...outdated...but still works apparantly. Unfortunately, to get the latest available firmware (4.3.19) you need a support contract which is not available anymore for that model.

DHCP reservation was done in the CLI (Console widget or SSH connection via putty) only, IIRC.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
z37
New Contributor

in this link it show how to enable this option in the gui

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD35222

Is there anything similar to the version of this router ?

Where can i find a newer version of firmware ?

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

As I've already posted:

You have to type in the MAC addresses on the command line interface (CLI).

And you will find the CLI Reference (which you need for the correct syntax) on docs.fortinet.com.

And there is no legal way to get a newer firmware image, as you cannot purchase a support contract anymore which would grant you access to firmware images.

And v4.3.19 is the latest firmware version for this hardware, look no further.

Now just do it. As long as the installed firmware is running you don't need to update, not for what you are trying to achieve.

Ede

z37
New Contributor

The problem is That I have a lot of devices connected to the router (cell phones, computers, television, etc., etc.) There are a lot of MAC addresses there And there is no description of the MAC address (ie which device it belongs to) So I do not know how to assign a MAC address to an IP address

this the the command from the link

config system dhcp reserved-address edit "ip_phone" set ip 192.168.1.1 set mac 00:04:f1:11:11:11 next end

Do I need to tap all this for each device connected to the router?

or after the word "next" i can type new device ? And so on

For example

config system dhcp reserved-address edit "ip_phone" set ip 192.168.1.1 set mac 00:04:f1:11:11:11 next edit "win7" set ip 192.168.1.2 set mac 00:04:f1:11:11:22 next edit "win10" set ip 192.168.1.3 set mac 00:04:f1:11:45:11 next edit "win8" set ip 192.168.1.4 set mac 00:04:f1:11:34:11 end  
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Your example will work, open once with "config..." and close once with "end" after entering all "edit.." ... "next" blocks.

As a small help, you can look up the vendor using the first 3 bytes of the MAC address, using a "IEEE OUI" lookup search.

To make life easier, you could create a list with 2 columns, IP and MAC, and create the FortiOS entries with scripting.

It's not impossible, it's just work.

Ede

z37
New Contributor

"As a small help, you can look up the vendor using the first 3 bytes of the MAC address, using a "IEEE OUI" lookup search."

how do i do that ?

Just write "IEEE OUI" in the Command line ?

Too bad it does not show a computer name (It was easier to know what each address was)

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

No, you google for it: for example, https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

A NIC vendor does not always give you the name of the PC vendor.

FortiOS v3.7.9 doesn't have Device Identification like in FortiOS v5. That is much easier.

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors