Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jfgagnon
New Contributor II

VPN ipsec DSCP trust

Hi!

I'm wondering if it's possible to pass the DSCP value throught the VPN tunnel. 

Like, if an VoIP subnet mark it's packets with a defined DSCP value, and route those packets throught the VPN, I would want them to keep their DSCP value and classified shaped when they arrived on the other firewall.

I found out this setting on the policies "set dscp-match enable", but can't find any documentation on it, I was hoping it was the equivalent to a trust DSCP.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes you can do that in  the firewall.policy remember  the internet will not see your DSCP setting muchless even care.

check out my  blog post a few years back about marking l3 dscp values

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2015/02/howto-fortigate-tosdscp-markup.html

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

This is what you're looking for if it's 5.4. This part of QoS/Traffic Shaping feature should be the same with 5.2 although 5.4 has introduced a separate "shaping-policy" so if you want to do shaping, refer to the traffic shaping handbook for a proper version.

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-traffic-shaping-54/TS_Configuration/T...

Atul_S
Staff
Staff

FortiGate Differentiated Services feature can be used to change the DSCP (Differentiated Services Code Point) value for all packets accepted by a policy. The network can use these DSCP values to classify, mark, shape, and police traffic, and perform intelligent queuing.

DSCP features are applied to traffic by configuring the FortiGate to apply different service levels to packets depending on the DSCP value of the packet.

Having said that, If diffserv is disabled in the IPsec phase2 configuration, then the ESP packets' DSCP value is copied from the inner IP packet DSCP and If diffserv is enabled in the IPsec phase2 configuration, then ESP packets' DSCP value is set to the configured value.

Please note that Offloading traffic to the NPU must be disabled for the tunnel in phase1 if you want to customize the DSCP values.

Example:

1. Configure the phase1-interface:

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface
        edit "s2s"
            set interface "wan1"
            set peertype any
            set net-device disable
            set proposal aes128-sha256 aes256-sha256 aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1
            set npu-offload disable
            set dhgrp 14 5
            set wizard-type static-fortigate
            set remote-gw 173.1.1.1
            set psksecret ***********
        next
    end
  2. Configure the phase2-interface:

config vpn ipsec phase2-interface
        edit "s2s"
            set phase1name "s2s"
            set proposal aes128-sha1 aes256-sha1 aes128-sha256 aes256-sha256 aes128gcm aes256gcm chacha20poly1305
            set dhgrp 14 5
            set diffserv enable
            set diffservcode 000111
            set src-addr-type name
            set dst-addr-type name
            set src-name "s2s_local"
            set dst-name "s2s_remote"
        next
    end

Thanks

Atul Srivastava
Labels