Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
discoveranother
New Contributor

VPN Remote Access

Hi Guys

I'm new to this so apologies for the question.

But how do I setup \ use Forticlient to connect to a business network from home ?

Do I need any specific hardware at the business end ? Do I need to install anything on the business server ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

6 REPLIES 6
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

- no apologies, there are no dumb questions, just ... answers

For remote access you can use an IPsec VPN or SSL VPN. Both can be served by Forticlient. On the gateway side a Fortigate would do nicely. As you are mentioning Forticlient I assume your company has got one. Or it's time to get one. Even the smallest one (FG-60E) will do.

Even if not, if the gateway firewall from another vendor is halfways standard compliant the Forticlient will work.

If you like, share some more info and we'll gladly help.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Even if not, if the gateway firewall from another vendor is halfways standard compliant the Forticlient will work.

Let clarify with Ede posted, if the  vendor gw is IPSEC it might work, SSLVPN is only to a fortigate.

The forticlient for IPSEC is compliant  to some degree. I have  had fair-to-great success to  Juniper SRX ,pfsense and CiscoASA . You might have to do some hacking tho

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
discoveranother

ede_pfau wrote:
hi,   and welcome to the forums. - no apologies, there are no dumb questions, just ... answers   For remote access you can use an IPsec VPN or SSL VPN. Both can be served by Forticlient. On the gateway side a Fortigate would do nicely. As you are mentioning Forticlient I assume your company has got one. Or it's time to get one. Even the smallest one (FG-60E) will do.   Even if not, if the gateway firewall from another vendor is halfways standard compliant the Forticlient will work.   If you like, share some more info and we'll gladly help.
Thank you very much for your response. To be honest id never come across Forticlient. I was just browsing vpn or remote access resources and came across this so wasnt sure if it was software thay is installled on both home client and work server or hardware had to be in place. Does the business side use Forticlient installed on a Windows Server for example and Forticlient on the home PC, or would the server side require different software for Forticlient to connect to ? Does Forticlient give a remote desktop type of feature or is it purely a layer of security ? Thanks again
rwpatterson

Forticlient is a VPN client that terminates on the far end to a Fortinet firewall. It's purely a secure portal into a remote network. The RDP and such is still handled in the traditional way once the secure tunnel has been established.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If you are looking a SSLVPN portal ( non tunnel ) than you can launch RDP applets to connect to various internal device.

So do you need a portal or a tunnel-mode?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
discoveranother

emnoc wrote:

If you are looking a SSLVPN portal ( non tunnel ) than you can launch RDP applets to connect to various internal device.

So do you need a portal or a tunnel-mode?

Thanks Guys for all your responses. Ideally looking for a portal.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors