Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Saeed_Shaikh
New Contributor

Fortigate 1000D - support more than 2 WAN links?

Does Fortigate 100D support more than 2 wan ports if yes please let me know how many ports.

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

You can use any or all ports for WAN access, on any Fortigate. The labels on the front of the case are just labels for convenience.

To answer your question, you can use all ports but one - one is needed for the LAN :)

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
sw2090
Honored Contributor

alas on some fortigate models you will have to enable them as wan on cli before you can use them e.g. with pppoe . I once had that on a 90D and that screwed us for weeks until we found that out. Even FortiGate TAC didn't know this at first...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
ede_pfau

@sw2090:

On FOS v5.4, there is a 'role' parameter in the interface setup. I'm assuming you are refering to this. According to the docs, setting this will change which GUI fields are visible. I've found on one occasion that setting it to 'LAN' would change functionality as well (which is shouldn't).

So my best practice now is to always set it to 'undefined'.

Not choosing 'WAN' as the role would only prevent access to the PPPoE parameter in the GUI; CLI should work.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

With 100D, you should be able to make DMZ port and/or some of switch ports as wan ports if you want. You can change the default "role" config to wan in CLI. Even if it's "undefined", it shouldn't have any problem terminating an ISP circuit. It would just change some menu/options in GUI.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors