Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
laffeg
New Contributor

ROUTE subnet to WAN2 help

hi

new to fortigate firewalls

have a client with 2 VDSL connections which i have setup and working on WAN1 and WAN2

not looking to use failover, but do need an ip range to go over WAN2, however traffic is still going out over the default "all traffic out" policy

i have IPV4 policy setup and sequenced above the "all traffic out"  

i have tried static and policy routes

can someone confirm what type of routes and policy i will need to get this working

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

First, you need 2 default routes which coexist at the same time. For that, configure each on wan1 and wan2 resp. with the same distance.

Second, you need a policy route for wan2 traffic. Normal routes only look at the destination address whereas policy routes can take the source address, dest address or port number(s) to make the routing decision.

And lastly, you need of course 2 policies to allow traffic out from wan1 and wan2.

That's all. If it still doesn't work for you please provide the mentioned parts of the config here, and traceroutes or sniffing info for egress traffic.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
laffeg

hi

got it working - i had been using the obtained/assigned public ip of WAN2 as the "gateway address" 

as that is what WAN1 static route seemed to be set to 

changed it to the address shown as "default gateway" in WAN2 details  and now it works

ede_pfau

Yes, the default gateway is always "on the other side" of the WAN link, vulgo 'the next hop'.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors