Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
veclempt
New Contributor

FortiWifi 90D - Can't Connect WAN1 to Thomson DCM476 Modem (bridged)

I am trying to setup a FortiWifi 90D.  My Internet connection consists of a dynamic IP provided by a Thomson DCM476.  The modem works fine with my old Asus router.  I followed the directions in the cookbook to setup NAT/Route mode on the FortiWifi, but I can't get the wan1 light on the FortiWifi to light or get an IP from the modem with dhcp or a static IP.  I tried setting wan1 up with a static IP from my ISP.  Each time I reset the modem, it attempts to connect (connecting ... message), but eventually it gives me a "fail" message.  The status of wan1 has not changed from "down". 

I have tried a number of things:

- factory reset the FortiWifI

- reset the Thomson modem

- Mac lock the modem

- switching cables (I have tried 5 different ones)

- cloning the MAC address of my old router

but I am out of answers at this point.  It is concerning that the wan1 light won't even light up.  Any help would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
veclempt
New Contributor

Any help would be appreciated. I have spoken to my ISP several times and they are telling me it is a configuration issue with the router and they can no longer assist. I'm on f/w 5.4.3 build 1111 if that makes a difference.
ericli_FTNT
Staff
Staff

veclempt wrote:

I am trying to setup a FortiWifi 90D.  My Internet connection consists of a dynamic IP provided by a Thomson DCM476.  The modem works fine with my old Asus router.  I followed the directions in the cookbook to setup NAT/Route mode on the FortiWifi, but I can't get the wan1 light on the FortiWifi to light or get an IP from the modem with dhcp or a static IP.  I tried setting wan1 up with a static IP from my ISP.  Each time I reset the modem, it attempts to connect (connecting ... message), but eventually it gives me a "fail" message.  The status of wan1 has not changed from "down". 

I have tried a number of things:

- factory reset the FortiWifI

- reset the Thomson modem

- Mac lock the modem

- switching cables (I have tried 5 different ones)

- cloning the MAC address of my old router

but I am out of answers at this point.  It is concerning that the wan1 light won't even light up.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, please follow the following steps:

1. Connect wan1 and wan2 of FortiWifi 90D with one cable, see if the LED is green. If not, stop here. If yes, go to next.

2. Check if your ethernet cables are crossover cables.  You could google how to tell a calbe is cross or straight.

veclempt

I connected WAN1 and WAN2 with a CAT6 cable and both the WAN1 and WAN2 status LED lit up.  I have used 8 different cables that range from CAT5 and CAT6.  I haven't tried a crossover cable, but I would assume the modem and Fortigate have the ability to autodetect.  Are you suggesting I try a crossover cable?

ericli_FTNT

veclempt wrote:

I connected WAN1 and WAN2 with a CAT6 cable and both the WAN1 and WAN2 status LED lit up.  I have used 8 different cables that range from CAT5 and CAT6.  I haven't tried a crossover cable, but I would assume the modem and Fortigate have the ability to autodetect.  Are you suggesting I try a crossover cable?

Yes, the modem here is a layer 2 device. We need a crossover cable.

veclempt

After verifying the specs on both the FortiWifi 90D and the Thomson DCM476, I confirmed that they both have auto-MDIX and wouldn't require a crossover cable.  My previous Asus modem worked fine with a straight-through CAT 6 cable from the same modem, so it would have surprised me if I now needed a crossover cable.  The modem is 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet with auto-negotiation and MDIX functions.  Therefore, a CAT 5E or 6 straight-through cable should work. 

After saying all that, I found some old crossover cables to test my theory because I am desperate to get the FortiWifi working.  Unfortunately, the crossover cables didn't work.  The WAN1 or the WAN2 lights didn't light up and the FortiWiFi wouldn't connect to the modem when the WAN1 or WAN2 interface was configured for DCHP.

Any other ideas?

ericli_FTNT

veclempt wrote:

After verifying the specs on both the FortiWifi 90D and the Thomson DCM476, I confirmed that they both have auto-MDIX and wouldn't require a crossover cable.  My previous Asus modem worked fine with a straight-through CAT 6 cable from the same modem, so it would have surprised me if I now needed a crossover cable.  The modem is 10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet with auto-negotiation and MDIX functions.  Therefore, a CAT 5E or 6 straight-through cable should work. 

After saying all that, I found some old crossover cables to test my theory because I am desperate to get the FortiWifi working.  Unfortunately, the crossover cables didn't work.  The WAN1 or the WAN2 lights didn't light up and the FortiWiFi wouldn't connect to the modem when the WAN1 or WAN2 interface was configured for DCHP.

Any other ideas?

You could try to change the speed setting of the port connected to the modem. 100full etc.

If not working, please just connect the WAN1 to your PC lan port to see if the LED lit up. If it's up. Then maybe you need to find another modem to test.

veclempt

>You could try to change the speed setting of the port connected to the modem. 100full etc.

I tried that previously.  No luck.  I am pretty sure I have adjusted every configuration under the WAN1 interface.  The modem itself doesn't have a configuration that can be changed.

>If not working, please just connect the WAN1 to your PC lan port to see if the LED lit up. If it's up. Then maybe you need to find another modem to test.

The WAN1 port lights up when connected to a 1G Ethernet NIC on my PC.  The problem is, the modem works fine at present with the Asus router I have and I have also confirmed with my ISP who did several tests on their end.

ericli_FTNT

Hi, do you still have the Asus router with you?

veclempt

Yes, it is what is currently hooked-up.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors