Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FransUrbo
New Contributor

IPSEC VPN route publishing

I have a FG50 (FortiOS v5.4) as my home firewall/gateway/nat as well as IPSEC VPN endpoint to get access to my home network.

The VPN works fine and all, but on the client (macOS Sierra), I don't get a route "in" to the VPN. I always have to add that manually.

And when I've done that, I have to use IPs to access my resources as home instead of using the DNS zone I've setup in FG.

10 REPLIES 10
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I might be mistaken since I don't use much IPsec VPN with FortiClient. But I think you need to use SSL VPN with the same FortiClient get the routes automatically inserted into Mac's routing table. You obviously have to config SSL VPN server on your FG50E but shouldn't be too difficult (I'm doing it at home) since only one user you need to set up. There must be some cookbooks you can follow.

Let's wait if someone says I'm wrong and there is a way to do it with IPSec. 

FransUrbo

I'm not using FortiClient, but the built-in VPN client in my systems.

I've replaced a home made Linux box for this which used Strongswan and there that could publish both the route and the DNS. So it would be strange if FortiOS couldn't do it...

ericli_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi all,

Since you got access to your home network via IPSEC vpn from your mobile device, I assume your IPSEC is dynamic/dial up. Please verify this before next step.

If so, please enable "add route" option so that FGT would push a route to your mobile device.

As for SSL VPN, at tunnel mode, FGT would push a route to mobile device via PPP/IPCP protocol.

http://help.fortinet.com/...Psec_Route_Control.htm

FransUrbo

Yes, a remote/dialup IPSEC VPN setup. Where is that "add route" option you want me to enable?

This is the config (I'm guessing that "add route" is somewhere else, I only configure it from the GUI at the moment):

config vpn ipsec phase1
end

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface
edit "L2TP IPSEC"
set type dynamic
set interface "wan1"
set peertype any
set mode-cfg enable
set proposal aes256-md5 3des-sha1 aes192-sha1
set dpd on-idle
set comments "VPN: L2TP IPSEC (Created by VPN wizard)"
set dhgrp 2
set ipv4-start-ip 192.168.6.1
set ipv4-end-ip 192.168.6.254
set dns-mode auto
set ipv4-split-include "local_network_lan"
set unity-support disable
set psksecret ENC <SECRET>
next
end

config vpn ipsec phase2
end

config vpn ipsec phase2-interface
edit "L2TP IPSEC"
set phase1name "L2TP IPSEC"
set proposal aes256-md5 3des-sha1 aes192-sha1
set pfs disable
set encapsulation transport-mode
set l2tp enable
set comments "VPN: L2TP IPSEC (Created by VPN wizard)"
set keylifeseconds 3600
next
edit "cluster"
set src-subnet 10.0.0.0 255.255.0.0
next
edit "lan"
set src-subnet 192.168.69.0 255.255.255.0
next
end

ericli_FTNT

Hi there, it's in the

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface edit "L2TP IPSEC"

set add-route enable

end

and do the same thing in the phase2-interface.

FransUrbo

If you look at the full config at http://bayour.com/misc/fortigate-vpn.txt, that's what seems to be done.

FransUrbo

Does anyone have any other ideas on how I can have my FortiGate publish (?) the/a route to my internal networks to my (OSX) client?

I've tried both the "set add-route phase1" and "set add-route enable" in both my phase1-interface and phase2-interface with out any luck.

FransUrbo

I managed to find http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-ipsecvpn-54/Phase_1/Dynamic_IPsec_Rou... which might be what you're asking (?).

But looking through the config (and using show full-configuration vpn ipsec phase[12]-interface), I see that I already have set add-route enable and set add-route phase1 respectively for phase1-interface and phase2-interface.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

While  this a older post of my on my blog but the steps are about  the same

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2013/02/l2tp-setup-fortigate-200b-mr3p12.html

I think your missing some things in your config.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors