Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Malefunk
New Contributor

Application Monitoring in NGFW Policy-based Mode

In profile base mode i can build an application profile set to monitor applications.

This is helpful if you only want more insight in the traffic usage.

In policy based mode you can use applications to match and therefore allow or block traffic,

but i couldn't imagine a way to just enable application monitoring.

Is there maybe a global setting that everey traffic is monitored or any other way?

3 REPLIES 3
sebastan_bach
New Contributor

The only option to monitor all the applications is to create a rule with all the application categories in it with allow action. Unfortunately there is no "ANY" match option for applications or url-categories in NGFW policy based mode. Its painful and the only way. 

Sebastan

Malefunk

Wouldn't that allow all traffic through that rule? I just want to monitor which appliaction is detected and have it in the logs. If i want to build a rule based on appliactions instead of services, i would like to first see what application (if any) is deteceted by fortigate.

sebastan_bach

There is a way to learn the traffic profile in the network before deploying the policy if the firewall is in profile mode. 

Below is the link that mentions the details. 

http://cookbook.fortinet.com/make-policy-learn-configuring-policies/ 

Sebastan

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors