Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
qweqwelani
New Contributor

DNS Static URL Filter

Hi,

I am trying setup fortigate (version 5.2) to block every DNS request except the requests querying for whitelisted domains.

I've setup fortigate unit to use FortiGuarde DNS servers and also use fortigate as my internal DNS server. Then I've created Web Filer policy to block everything but  DNS request to resolve google.com

I've applied this policy to firewall rules. But I am still able to resolve every domain.

What am I doing wrong? And is it even possible to achive my goal?

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I haven't used DNS web filtering myself. But based on the online help description below:

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-whats-new-54/Top_DNSInspectionProfile...

category filtering seems to be necessary.

Try configure them in local categories instead of Static URL Filter to see if it works. If not, you probably need to open a case at TAC.

qweqwelani

Unfortunately category filtering is not licensed for my device. I've tried it anyway, but without any luck.

Toshi_Esumi

Mostlikely at least that part of FortiGuard license/subscription is required. You can verify with a sales or TAC.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors