Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fullmoon
Contributor III

ADVPN-Spoke-Spoke Communication

Hello Fellas,

In my own lab I was able to hit (able to worked) ADVPN setup using this link "http://cookbook.fortinet.com/configuring-advpn-in-fortios-5-4-dynamic-hub-and-spoke-vpns/". My spokes (remote sites) able to ping the Head Office (HUB) and vise-versa, spoke-spoke able to ping as well.

Few question in mind, how do I control let say spoke (site A) could NOT able to ping this specific spoke (site B)?

Regards,

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I didn't know they added this feature with 5.4 until now. At a glance at the cookbook, I don't like this design with multiple reasons:

- We have many reasons to use FWs to control traffic:allowed or denied, or connect or not connect explicitly. This is opposite.

- When you add another node connected only from one remote,this would brreak. Why don't use eBGP instead if you use non-public ASN range? iBGP route-reflector is necessary if you're using your own public ASN.

Anyway, the direct answer to your question would be just placing a deny policy between source and destination subnets and ADVPN<->ADVPN interface combo BEFORE/AVOVE the allow("accept") policy. That would block whatever you want to block.

Fullmoon

Thanks Toshi for your response. That's my initial idea too.Though im out from my office to extend my simulation, would you mind where do I apply the deny rule is it in the HUB fw policy?

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Spoke to spoke with automatic shortcuts cry for problems if you want to keep control on it. The whole idea behind ADVPN is that you allow dynamic shortcuts spoke to spoke to relieve the hub's burden. It's not about economizing on security.

That said, you cannot fully control sp2sp traffic on the hub alone; you need to provide policies on the spokes.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors