Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
danilo_cardoso
New Contributor

Which FORTIOS 5.2.X Version is MORE stable?

Hello guys.

I´m new here as a user, but used to visit as a guest;

And I would like to upgrade my Firewalls from the old 5.0.9 to the a stable version of 5.2.

But I´m a little afraid to do it, you know... 

I saw that some guys got a little problem here, because of that last version.

So... what you think guys? 

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
romanr
Valued Contributor

Hi,

if you follow the upgrade path, there shouldn't be any issues with the actual builds of 5.2. The current 5.2.13 is rock solid.

But remember: FortiOS 5.0 is already out of support. FortiOS 5.2 will be end-of-support in October 2018.

So - thinkin a bit ahead won't be a mistake....

Br,

Roman

danilo_cardoso

romanr wrote:

Hi,

if you follow the upgrade path, there shouldn't be any issues with the actual builds of 5.2. The current 5.2.13 is rock solid.

But remember: FortiOS 5.0 is already out of support. FortiOS 5.2 will be end-of-support in October 2018.

So - thinkin a bit ahead won't be a mistake....

Br,

Roman

The sadness part is that one of my Fortigate firewalls is a 300C which is great hardware. But it do not support 5.4 Firmwares.

=(

Regards

ede_pfau

poster from the cited thread here...

That thread or problem was unique to the 600C hardware. The BIOS and the memory modules were incompatible which led to memory leaks and eventually a lockup.

I totally agree with Roman about v5.2 being stable and I even find v5.4 stable. So I'd recommend upgrading (step by step, follow the Recommended Upgrade Path!) to v5.4, latest patch.

The only reason not to upgrade beyond v5.0 would be that your FGT has only less than 1 GB of RAM. If you run 'diag sys top' and stop that with Ctrl-C, you'll see the amount of RAM in the topmost line ('xxxT'). Newer versions of FortiOS tend to incorporate quite a few new features which in turn need resources.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
hklb
Contributor II

Which model do you have ?

If you have a 3240C, don't forget to fix the port to 1000full (autoneg may fail)

And pay attention to your sslvpn policy, they have total change the way to configure it

Lucas

danilo_cardoso

hklb wrote:

If you have a 3240C, don't forget to fix the port to 1000full (autoneg may fail)

And pay attention to your sslvpn policy, they have total change the way to configure it

Lucas

I have a HA of 300C and other 3 HA 100D.

300C just don't support 5.4 series. =(

danilo_cardoso

I didn't know that sslvpn policy changed the way it is configured.

What have changed ?

Thanks in advance 

hklb wrote:

Lucas

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors