Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ahmed41
New Contributor

How to Reserve IP range

Hello ,

I'm using FortiGate as DHCP server and I feel DHCP management is very poor or my knowledge it is.

My case is that I want to reserve some IPs from my range to use it in some devices.

So I make the DHCP to start from 192.168.1.20 not 192.168.1 to keep 19 IPs away.

the problem now that DHCP monitor does not show some devices which I give them the reserved IP. and some other devices exist in DHCP monitor by its right name, NIC MAC and wrong ip.

Or

What is the best solution to keep some IPs away from DHCP?

and what is the difference between assign and reserve IP when I right click on DHCP monitor items ?

Thaaank you

1 REPLY 1
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I haven't taken a look at a status showing "reserved" but I think they were the IPs reserved with MAC addresses under "reserved-address" config, which still within the range ("ip-range"). If you're familiar with Cisco's DHCP server, FortiGate DHCP server is somewhat similar. If you excluded some IPs by putting them outside of ip-range, or configuring them under "exclude-range", they wouldn't show up in monitor.

xxx-fg # config sys dhcp server

xxx-fg (server) # edit 0

new entry '0' added

xxx-fg (0) # config ?

ip-range            DHCP IP range configuration.  options             DHCP options.  exclude-range       DHCP exclude range configuration.  reserved-address    DHCP reserved IP address.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors