Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
aagrafi
Contributor II

Maintaining a common policy package

Hello,

Can we combine two (or more) policy packages in the same FG or group of FGs with FMG? My ultimate goal is to have the following functionality in the FMG, regarding the security policy management:

a. Have a common policy package for a group of FGs on my network and

b. Selectively add firewall policy lines to some FGs in the group.

I remember in FMG 5.2 that we could do that by using different device-targets per firewall policy line, but I don't see this in 5.6.

I hope I was clear in explaining my requirement. I consider this requirement very important for FMG, because otherwise we are forced to use different policy package per FG device.

Thanks

Andreas

1 Solution
neonbit
Valued Contributor

You can still select which policies get installed no which Fortigates using 5.6. By default the column is not shown, to show it select Column Settings > Install On.

Once done you can see another column added where the default value is 'Installation Targets'.

You can now select which policies get installed on which FGTs. I'd recommend creating sections in your policies for easier management if possible. A section like 'Policies for all firewalls', 'FGT1 policies' 'FGT2 policies' etc.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jsanders
New Contributor

We use ADOM's and Header Policies for this. However, we've been discouraged more than once from using Global Objects and header/footer policies as FTNT doesn't prefer us use those. Rumor has it b/c Global elements add so much complexity during upgrades and migrations. Could be total hearsay.

Would be very nice if there was a "device-targets" column or something like that.

chall_FTNT

jsanders wrote:

we've been discouraged more than once from using Global Objects and header/footer policies as FTNT doesn't prefer us use those. Rumor has it b/c Global elements add so much complexity during upgrades and migrations.

Jsanders, I am sorry you have that you received that impression from Fortinet.  On behalf of the TAC, I can say that we have no hesitation in use of global policy packages. 

Special Case Scenario:

Complications with global policy package assign/unassign can arise if global objects are subsequently used in ADOM-level policies but we are investigating the possibility of giving the global level full visibility into global object use across all ADOMs.   But if you do not use global objects when building policies at the ADOM level, you won't run into that complication.

Andreas,

We don't have any automated way of combining policy packages.  But you can copy & paste policies from 1 policy package to another in order to manually build a merged policy package.

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
neonbit
Valued Contributor

You can still select which policies get installed no which Fortigates using 5.6. By default the column is not shown, to show it select Column Settings > Install On.

Once done you can see another column added where the default value is 'Installation Targets'.

You can now select which policies get installed on which FGTs. I'd recommend creating sections in your policies for easier management if possible. A section like 'Policies for all firewalls', 'FGT1 policies' 'FGT2 policies' etc.

aagrafi

Thanks neonbit, I think this answers my question.

jsanders

chall - I should clarify as I've given the wrong impression. We were never discouraged from using Global Objects and/or Policies, but discouraged from using Global Objects at the ADOM level in Local Policy Packages. This was a common place usage in our previous firewall solution so to not have that full capability was something we needed to adjust too. I apologize for the confusion.

Also, this is AWESOME to know that there is an Install On column. We had no idea that column existed! This is great news. Thanks everyone!

chall_FTNT

> discouraged from using Global Objects at the ADOM level in Local Policy Packages.

My point is that I am not sure you should have been discouraged.  However, it is important to be aware of that complications can arise if those objects are at some later time deleted from the global level.

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors