Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Alpha7
New Contributor III

Distribute LAG members from a stacked switch to Fortigate A-P cluster members

Hi

I have 2 Fortigates in A-P cluster. That should be connected to stacked Core switches using Port channel configuration. Since i am running out of 10G switch ports on core switch, i am not able to create 2 port channels to Master and Slave units.

So, i am planning to create a LACP trunk on Fortigate with only one member. LACP link from master goes to SW1 of core stack and LACP link from Slave goes to SW2 of core stack

FW1 Port 39 ---> Core switch stack SW1 -- te1/0/1

FW2 Port 39 ---> Core switch stack SW2 -- te2/0/1 

I am not sure whether this will work since i am not able to test this in production. has anyone implemented this? Do i need to monitor individual interfaces than Aggregated link for HA fail over?

Does the Slave unit keep LAG member up and not process traffic? or Port 39 on Slave unit will be showing down?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Silver
New Contributor

Hello,

if different LAGs cannot be configured on the L2 switch, use the following command to prevent the subordinate units from participating in LACP negotiation with an aggregate interface ; note that in this mode, the failover time can be longer as it will include the LACP negotiation between the newly elected Primary Unit and the L2 switch.

config system interface edit <aggregate_name> set lacp-ha-slave disable
Alpha7
New Contributor III

Thanks For reply

So, in this case, will it be like a single link from Fortigate to switch? There is no benefit of configuring LAG.

Can I connect Master to SW1 and Slave to SW2 of Core Stack and monitor the link for fail over; If SW1 fails, Slave takes Master role and process the traffic through SW2?

Silver
New Contributor

Yes!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors