Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Eagle
New Contributor

Forti EMS Installation Issues - WinServ2012 - FCEMS_Apache

Installtaion fails at final stages.   "FCEMS_APACHE" failed to start system service.  Attached is the log file from installation.  I also attempted to run process monitor to catch any unknowns but to no avail.

I have one article pointing to MSSQL issues.  And the error from the log shows MSSQL at the point of failure.  the article pointed me here - opinions would be appreciated.

https://support.microsoft...nstall-updates-or-serv

The environment I am on is currently utilizing Apache and PostGre

[3ACC:3FE8][2018-01-16T12:19:47]i301: Applying execute package: FortiClientEMSServer, action: Install, path: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{BA4D024A-E9C8-489A-8FB0-9AFA96F48A5E}v1.2.2.443\FortiClientEnterpriseManagementServer.msi, arguments: ' ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT="1" MSIFASTINSTALL="7" INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Fortinet\FortiClientEMS" SQLINSTANCEDIR="default" SERVERNAME="localhost" SERVERHTTPPORT="443,10443,8443,1443,2443,3443" SERVERHTTPSPORT="443,10443,8443,1443,2443,3443" ALLOWEDWEBHOSTNAMES="localhost,127.0.0.1" APACHEADMINEMAIL="admin@yourcompany.com" SQLSERVER="." SQLCMDLINEOPTIONS="/INSTANCENAME=FCEMS" SQLSERVICE="MSSQL$FCEMS" SQLPORT="1433" WINDOWSUSER="*****" WINDOWSUSERPASSWORD="*****" SQLUSER="*****" SQLUSERPASSWORD="*****" SQLENCRYPTCONNECTION="*****" SQLTRUSTSERVERCERTIFICATE="*****" SCRIPTDB="1" EPCPORT="8013" GOOGLEPORT="8443" UPLOADPORT="8014" BACKUPDIR="%programdata%\Fortinet Technologies Inc\FortiClient Enterprise Management Server\temp\" STARTSERVICES="1"'
[3ACC:3FE8][2018-01-16T13:19:04]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.
[3ACC:3FE8][2018-01-16T13:19:04]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
[3FB4:3EB8][2018-01-16T13:19:04]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.
[3FB4:3EB8][2018-01-16T13:19:04]i319: Applied execute package: FortiClientEMSServer, result: 0x80070643, restart: None
[3FB4:3EB8][2018-01-16T13:19:04]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.

12 REPLIES 12
Alpha7
New Contributor III

Hi

Have you had a chance to sort this? I am seeing same error.

Thanks

Eagle
New Contributor

I know how much frustration this problem can do and let the IT guys spend days trying to resolve it. I got help from couple of people, but no one was able to provide a resolution for this error.

I'm not sure if you're getting exact error message, also I'm not sure about your OS version, and other installed applications.

For me, I had many Apache servers and PostgreSQL backend installations for various applications that I was running on server. I've tried all possible options to install the EMS,  but always fails at different stages.

As far as I recall, the last step I took was to uninstall all applications, their relevant Apache servers and PostgreSQL, all MS Visual C++ Redistributable packages, all MS SQL, all MS Visual Studio tools, nearly all other applications, restarted my Server 2012 R2, deleted all leftover folders and directories of the uninstalled applications, and restarted again.

After that I started the EMS installation and this time the installation was successful.

Let me know if this worked for you

Alpha7
New Contributor III

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes i am seeing same error 'Failed to execute MSI package' and i couldn't complete the installation on windows Server 2012 Standard. Some reason Apache server doesn't start. 

From the documents, i can see HTTPS port should be available to use by EMS Apache. But that port is already used by Symantec endpoint manager. This could be the reason it is failing. I am not sure how to change EMS HTTPS port. 

Unfortunately, i am not a server engineer. I will try to follow your steps. I have opened a ticket with Fortinet as well. let's see whether they can help

Thanks

Eagle
New Contributor

BTW, I've tried all possible options, including remapping ports and changing ports inside the config files here and there, nothing has solved the problem. Of course there is always the ideal solution and the working solution. The ideal solution is to analyze and trace down the cause of the issue using for example process and port monitoring until narrowing down the cause, but this requires expertise and takes long time. The quick working one, is the approach that I followed to uninstall all apps running Apache, PostgreSQL, SQL express, and mssql, and then start with EMS installation. I'd suggest to backup the settings configuration files of your applications before uninstalling it, so that you can restore it once you do reinstall. After installing EMS, and ensuring it's fully working, begin to reinstall your old applications that were using Apache and PostgreSQL, one by one, and between each installation, launch EMS portal and ensure it's working and accessible, before reinstalling next application. I'd also suggest to create a Restore Point for your OS, after successfully installing the EMS, and before reinstalling the other apps, to ensure that you can revert to a previous working state. Good luck

Alpha7
New Contributor III

Had a remote session with Fortinet. It isn't port conflict issue. we have disabled Symantec service and still having the same error. It seems to be SQL issue. Unfortunately, I can't uninstall SQL since that is used by other applications such as Symantec and Backup. Let's restart the server and see whether it helps

Eagle
New Contributor

If you can afford to spare another server for EMS, I'd suggest to install it there

SteveRoadWarrior

I ran into many problems trying to install EMS 2.x and ended up breaking open the installer package and installing the sub components manually.  Some of the 3rd party prerequisite apps were not installing cleanly.

After that, the installer ran properly.

cesar_aperez

Hi, could someone solve this problem?

amarcosl

César, I love you!!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors