Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pbiguru
New Contributor

Traffic Shaping, Per IP and Shared Policy

I have a situation, where I would like to limit a group (Guest Network) to xx Mbs total, and also limit any single connection within that Network to X Mbs. Currently I have the per-ip shaper policy just above the shared-ip policy. I suspect what this is doing is allowing any single IP to max out at X Mbs, but the total could exceed what I want the group total to be. Example. If there are 6 people in the group each consuming 1 Mbs, the total would be 6 Mbs, even though I just want the total to be 5 Mbs for the whole group. Or is my understanding of shapers mistaken (very easily could be).

Using Fortigate OS 5.4.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
B1202
New Contributor

To accomplish this I have a traffic shaping policy in place for both "shared" and "per-ip".

The shared shaper is what the group or policy can use max and the per-ip shaper is just as it sounds.  I have 10Mbps for the shared shaper (group) and 1.5Mbps for the per-ip shaper so each device can use 1.5Mbps but the group will not exceed 10Mbps.

pbiguru
New Contributor

Thanks for this. It was what I was looking for.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors