Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
papapuff
New Contributor II

ask - power error notification

hi there,

need advice. due to building regulation, we need to shutdown all power in the night, and power on in the morning.

I concern for three things:

1. is it safe for appliance? I mean it will reduce the usage-age or not.

2. how about data/disk inside it. is it safe?

3. every time I power on, shown an error message as attached

how to prevent this?

thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

uh-oh! You cannot just switch off the power of a FGT with disk. This will wreck the file system, resulting in an error message like posted. In Unix, you would run a 'fsck' to fix this.

The correct handling would be to run this command in the CLI:

exec shutdown
You will have to confirm this command interactively by typing 'y'. After some seconds the OS is halted and safe to be switched off.

And in regard to life expectation: spinning hard disks up and down will shorten their lifespan. In recent FGTs harddisks are replaced by SSDs; these are not affected by power cycles.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
papapuff
New Contributor II

hi Ede

thank you for your reply.

for current situation, we don't switch off the unit, unless the power down more than UPS can hold it.

out of topic, is FG60E already use ssd?

thanks.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Okay my input;

In a controlled situation you do what Ede stated but in  real world we can NOT predict power-outages or interruptions. So the  systems will protect it's self with   fsck

Are you worried about a controlled power down or unplanned?

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
papapuff
New Contributor II

hi Ken,

for current situation, we worried about unplanned power down.

about "fsck", do you mean I just need run "fsck" on CLI?

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

1- 'fsck' is run/scheduled automatically if on power-up the OS notices a dirty filesystem. AFAIK you cannot run the command manually.

2- the FG-60E doesn't have any internal disk. There is only a flash memory chip on which firmware, signature databases and the config is stored. The FG-61E does indeed feature an internal SSD for logging/WAN optimization.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

AFAIK you cannot run the command manually.

Not 100% correct ;) You can kick off a fsck but the system will be rebooted system the system partition mounted

e.g

FG100D1PLUS1EQ # execute disk scan 1   <--- scan requested for:  1/Internal (device=/dev/sda1) This action requires the unit to reboot. Do you want to continue? (y/n)

They made changes in 5.4 with regards to this.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
afilice
New Contributor

I have been getting the power interruption message and file system check on various FG's in my organization when doing firmware updates. Happened on 2 different models a 90D going from 5.2.4-5.2.13 and a 100D from 5.2.13-5.4.0. I know this is not an actual power issue but probably something in the reboot command in the firmware update somewhere. I am hoping my disks dont go bad because of it and it is just poor coding. One device was stuck in maintenance mode and had to be powered off via switch.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors