Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fjulianom
New Contributor III

IPS from LAN to WAN

Hi guys,

I wonder if enabling IPS in the direction LAN --> WAN is necessary or not in order to protect my PCs againts attacks. I mean enabling IPS from LAN to Internet, like this:

Is it ok?

Regards,

Julián

2 Solutions
tanr
Valued Contributor II

The short answer is yes.  Enabling IPS on the outbound policy should protect the sessions that are initiated by that policy.  in general you should not have a wan --> lan policy.

View solution in original post

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Correct.  As long as your wan --> lan policy is just for the VIPs and has its own protection profiles that should be fine.

BTW, if as part of your WAN --> LAN rules you have a DENY policy that involves VIPs, you should check that it has match-vip enable.  Otherwise it is possible that those rules won't be matched.  http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2016/02/this-is-reminder-for-set-match-vip.html 

Que le vaya bien.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tanr
Valued Contributor II

The short answer is yes.  Enabling IPS on the outbound policy should protect the sessions that are initiated by that policy.  in general you should not have a wan --> lan policy.

fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi tanr,

Ok, thank you. I also have enabled IPS in a WAN --> LAN policy in order to protect the customer servers, because the customer is using Virtual IPs and Destination NAT to access some servers remotely. I just wanted to be sure because some collegues told me that I only needed enable the IPS in the WAN --> LAN direction and not in the LAN --> WAN direction. Then I wondered, how will I protect the hosts againts attacks initiated from outside? And as you told, enabling IPS on the outbound policy should protect the sessions that are initiated by that policy (therefore by the hosts).

Many thanks!

Julián

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Correct.  As long as your wan --> lan policy is just for the VIPs and has its own protection profiles that should be fine.

BTW, if as part of your WAN --> LAN rules you have a DENY policy that involves VIPs, you should check that it has match-vip enable.  Otherwise it is possible that those rules won't be matched.  http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2016/02/this-is-reminder-for-set-match-vip.html 

Que le vaya bien.

fjulianom
New Contributor III

Ok, thanks for the reminder and your interest!

Regards,

Julián

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors