Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SaVen
New Contributor

DNS resolution Issues

Hello All, 

Fortigate is configured to use enterprise DNS servers for name resolutions however we are seeing DNS resolution issues for short urls. For instance, fortigate is able to resolve xyz.domain.com but when I just give xyz it is not able resolve. When I do the same nslookup from source machine using the DNS server configured on firewall with the command "nslookup xyz dns-server-ip" I see the resolution. So it is not an issue with DNS resolutions. 

Is there any work around for this that we can implement on firewall, something like host file entry for xyz and parallelly using enterprise DNS server for other url resolutions ?

Thanks, 

Saven

2 REPLIES 2
packetpusher
Contributor

"Fortigate is configured to use enterprise DNS servers"

I am not sure what is the design behind using the enterprise DNS servers but I would recommend you to utilize the default Fortinet DNS servers.

config system dns

set primary 208.91.112.53

set secondary 208.91.112.52

end

SaVen

The reason for using enterprise dns servers is to resolve enterprise urls not internet based.

I should have mentioned this in my initial post, my bad. 

Can I use dns database to have static fqdn to IP mapping for couple of urls and parallelly use DNs servers for other urls ?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors