Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
burger87
New Contributor

SSLVPN for multiple user groups

Hi guys,

I'm currently configuring a Fortigate VM with evaluation license on FortiOS 5.4.4, so I can't log a ticket. I have the following SSLVPN requirements.

1) Total of 3 user groups

2) Each user groups are restricted to establish SSLVPN from different set of public IPs with different access permission. Eg:

- Group A can only connect SSLVPN from source IP 1.1.1.1 with full access.

- Group B can only connect SSLVPN from source IP 2.2.2.2 with web mode access only.

- Group C can only connect SSLVPN from source IP 3.3.3.3 with tunnel mode access only.

3) Enable split tunneling so remote users can still access internet via their own gateway.

I'm currently using this guide as a reference. However, I can't seem to get past Step 5(creating firewall policies for SSLVPN). I can configure a policy for SSL > LAN with source IP as per mentioned above, but only 1 policy and nothing more. Trying to create a second SSLVPN policy just prompts me with a "Some changes failed to save" error.

My first SSLVPN policy is this:

set name "Group A SSLVPN"         set srcintf "ssl.root"         set dstintf "LAN"         set srcaddr "GrpA_Public"         set dstaddr "LAN_IP"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set utm-status enable         set groups "GroupA"         set ips-sensor "all_default"         set nat enable

I can't create a SSL > WAN as defined in the guide since I'm using split tunneling(cannot set destination address as "all"), nor am I able to create another SSL > LAN for Group B. Any idea what is wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

- Group A can only connect SSLVPN from source IP 1.1.1.1 with full access. - Group B can only connect SSLVPN from source IP 2.2.2.2 with web mode access only. - Group C can only connect SSLVPN from source IP 3.3.3.3 with tunnel mode access only.

Can you explain source address? Typical the SSLVPN client comes from any src so we control it ( user ) by user and authgroup.

Have you also looked at realm? This will allow you to set  various realm and you can tie  the  web  portal per  realm.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think you can specify the source-address(es) per authentication-rule for separate user-groups. It's per system or per vdom. You can only list all three together once you defined them under "config firewall addresse" and/or "config firewall addrgrp". You would understand this when you get in CLI and go to "config vpn ssl settings" then type "show full" or "get".

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think you can specify the source-address(es) per authentication-rule for separate user-groups.

Again you need  cli-cmd and ssl vpn settings  here's a blog on  SSLVPN realm I did. It was mainly due to my client need  multiple portals based on numeours  uses that spoke  multi-linguas

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2017/05/fortigate-sslvpn-and-multiple-realms.html

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Is this a new addition with 5.6? Our 5.4.6 doesn't give me the option:

xxx (xxx) # config vpn ssl settings

xxx (settings) # config authentication-rule

xxx (authentication-rule) # edit 1

xxx (1) # show
config authentication-rule
    edit 1
        set groups "xxxxxx"
        set portal "yyyyy"
        set realm "rrrrrr"
    next
end

xxxx (1) # set ?
source-interface SSL VPN source interface of incoming traffic.
users User name.
groups User groups.
portal SSL VPN portal.
realm SSL VPN realm.
client-cert Enable/disable SSL VPN client certificate restrictive.
cipher SSL VPN cipher strength.
auth SSL VPN authentication method restriction.

xxxx (1) #

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, I figured "set source-interface xxxxx" enabled all other parameters related to source including source-address. Thanks Ken for correcting my misunderstanding.

xxxx (settings) # config authentication-rule

xxxx (authentication-rule) # edit 1

xxxx (1) # set source-interface Internet

xxxx (1) # set ?
source-interface SSL VPN source interface of incoming traffic.
source-address Source address of incoming traffic.
source-address-negate Enable/disable negated source address match.
source-address6 IPv6 source address of incoming traffic.
source-address6-negate Enable/disable negated source IPv6 address match.
users User name.
groups User groups.
portal SSL VPN portal.
realm SSL VPN realm.
client-cert Enable/disable SSL VPN client certificate restrictive.
cipher SSL VPN cipher strength.
auth SSL VPN authentication method restriction.

xxxx (1) #

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

To see realm menu in GUI, you have to enable it under System->Feature Select->SSL VPN Realms.

burger87

Hi emnoc and Toshi, thanks for your help!

EDIT: emnoc, just curios; why does the ordering of the authentication-rule matters?

burger87
New Contributor

Hi Emnoc, thanks for your response. For example, Office A's public IP is 1.1.1.1, and the users in Office A belongs to Group A. So I would restrict Group A's users to be able to SSLVPN from 1.1.1.1 only.

If any users in Group A goes to Office B with public IP of 2.2.2.2 and tries to SSLVPN, it would be denied.

How do I go about configuring realms? I don't see this option in 5.4.4. Able to point me to some guides?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors