Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jacksonpang92
New Contributor

FortiGate 90E having unknown reason for reboot itself

Hi,   I have this fortigate 90E (Part number: P19061-03) having some unknown reason of rebooting itself at least once at random time throughout the day and causing some disruption to our network.   This fortigate is managing a users of around 80 users. The firmware is v5.4.4,build6019 (GA).     At Alert Message console it only states this: 2017-11-16 12:39:24 System start   It does not provide any clue nor reason of the reboot.     Please advice what should i do.
1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

They stopped short saying "discontinued" but seem to have stopped providing new units to their distributors and manufacturing until they can figure out the direction. They didn't seem to have the answer at that time. That's why "case-by-case". My guess is they would replace the chip either with Intel's fix or a different type/vendor then update its hardware revision and start selling again. But I can imagine it would take at least 6 months (if only replacement with the same time) or even more since hardware change is involved.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Fullmoon
Contributor III

have you tried to format the boot device and reimage the unit using latest version (5.4.6)? Hows your memory and cpu usage during peak hours?   pls see below's link http://help.fortinet.com/...n/restore_firmware.htm

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
tanr
Valued Contributor II

What does       diag debug crashlog read   show you after the reboot?  What do the logs look like?
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

You might be able to find some hints what's causing it based on these suggestions. But likely it's either by a software bug or an hardware issue. So if the latest 5.4.6 wouldn't stop it from rebooting, soon or later you have to open a case with TAC to get it RMAed or get a bug report submitted. Below is a discussion includes a comment about crashes with 90E. Also I heard about the 90E specific Intel chip bug mentioned in the discussion at an Fortinet Tech Refresher seminar a few months ago. They said they were dealing with it case by case (replacement or mitigation, etc.). https://www.reddit.com/r/fortinet/comments/6hguvg/90e_discontinued/
tanr
Valued Contributor II

@Toshi, did the Fortinet folk at the tech refresher specifically say the 90E was getting discontinued?  Fortinet still lists the 90E and its specs with their entry level firewalls, but the 90E is no longer listed in the Fortinet product matrix and only a few resellers still list it.
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

They stopped short saying "discontinued" but seem to have stopped providing new units to their distributors and manufacturing until they can figure out the direction. They didn't seem to have the answer at that time. That's why "case-by-case". My guess is they would replace the chip either with Intel's fix or a different type/vendor then update its hardware revision and start selling again. But I can imagine it would take at least 6 months (if only replacement with the same time) or even more since hardware change is involved.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors