Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TechSupport4415
New Contributor

Fortigate 60E - "connection refused" for incoming traffic to VIP ports

ROUTER: FGT60E

Firmware: v5.6.2 build1486(GA)

Problem: incoming traffic towards internal mail server (i.e. ports 25, 143, 993, 995 etc.) has flowed normally for several days after router installation and configuration.

It happened twice as of today that the router started blocking incoming traffic without apparent reason - looks like it sometimes lets traffic actually flow, as the incoming mail is slowed by several minutes to hours and then finally manages to sneak in, although with a heavy delay.

This is an example of a reply from a connection attempt to port 25 SMTP:

> telnet mail.customer.com 25

Trying 123.456.789.74...

Connected to mail.customer.com

Escape character is '^]'.

421 4.7.0 Connection refused

Connection closed by foreign host.

Is there a way to understand WHY is this traffic is blocked? I tried to have blocked traffic logged and displayed, but didn't manage to do it.

The first time it happened we remotely rebooted the router, and it got back to a normal state, i.e. we could connect to port 25 SMTP without delays.

Any idea and/or has it happened to somebody else?

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

My take, that  400 message came from the SMTP server so that's a good sign.  At this point your NOT blocked.

Now what might  be happening is  a  "SMTP-servers" has a connection limits based on the src_ip.

Let review your policy, 1: you say VIP do you have a SNAT on that and 2: are you SRCNAT'ing all mail-senders behind  a src_ip? 3: does you mail server have logs 4: does those logs show the same client or sessions counts limits?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

My take, that  400 message came from the SMTP server so that's a good sign.  At this point your NOT blocked.

Now what might  be happening is  a  "SMTP-servers" has a connection limits based on the src_ip.

Let review your policy, 1: you say VIP do you have a SNAT on that and 2: are you SRCNAT'ing all mail-senders behind  a src_ip? 3: does you mail server have logs 4: does those logs show the same client or sessions counts limits?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
TechSupport4415

Hi emnoc, thanks for the quick reply.

Do you think that message could come from the mail server instead? I have trouble checking there because the software has been somewhat damaged in the last few months, showing few / truncated logs, and we didn't fix it because we are moving the service to the Cloud in the next weeks. But, I could check the historical logs on disk, they could be more complete.

UPDATE: looks like you hit the target.

I have a bunch of "dynamic screening" messages in the disk logs, citing the firewall as the source... dynamic screening blocks for 30 minutes any "curious" traffic, but it never blocks internal (private) IPs.. they are all excluded by default.

... except, this customer used public IPs for his internal LAN! So the LAN-side IP of the firewall was blocked for 30 minutes at a time...

RESOLVED - THANKS A LOT! :)

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

NP,  and yes that message is driven by the mail-server good luck you found the issues.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors