Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mfahey
New Contributor II

Websites simply show error ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE intermittent

We have wix websites that arent working behind the fortigate 1500d.

When you go to http://www.site.com it forwards to https://www.site.com

Randomly all browsers show the following error. 

This page isn’t working

www.website.org didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE   I already tried setting auto-asic-offload to false but it still does work 100% of the time.   Running 5.4.5 code.   This does not happen on any other network besides behind this fortigate.   Not getting anywhere with support.   Suggestions?         

1 Solution
mfahey
New Contributor II

AS a workaround I used an ip pool with multiple public ip's to push my outbound traffic out instead of just one.

The permanent solution is getting rid of wix. They are terrible and the problem is wix.  

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
anelis
New Contributor

Wix websites is on the cloud. So it's clients behind your fortigate that aren't able to access that website.

Are you in proxy-mode ? do you have ssl deep inspection enabled ?

At first I would try to disable ssl deep inspection on a dedicated rule to test it out.

Also, it would be wise to check the ssl certificate on that website and check if it complies with today's security standards.

A network capture between the Client and the Fortigate and between the Fortigate and the Wix's server at the same time would definitely give you an insight on what's happening exactly.

mfahey
New Contributor II

The fortigate is in nat mode. This happens on a policy with no content filter, no ssl inspection, no application control ,no anything.

The sites ssl cert is 2048 Sha2 cert. The cert is fine.

I provided a capture to fortinet and they can't reproduce so it's as if my problem doesnt exist.

Very frustrating. This only happens with users behind a fortigate firewall.

DanielTX

Did you find a resolution for this? I am having the exact same experience with a website hosted on Wix except I am behind a 600c running 5.6.2.

mfahey
New Contributor II

AS a workaround I used an ip pool with multiple public ip's to push my outbound traffic out instead of just one.

The permanent solution is getting rid of wix. They are terrible and the problem is wix.  

hardiktechie

You might be facing err_empty response from the browser side, first you must troubleshoot your browser issues and then make any changes on the server side. First apply some basic suggestions such as clearing data and cookies and then apply some advance level recommendations of changing the proxy settings. You can read all suggestions on chrome err_empty_response fix and check whether this error is fixed or not. This all solutions will surely help you out.

DanielTX

The answer from mfahey is correct. I have emails from Wix support stating that they block large amounts of traffic from a single IP address. After I created an IP pool with 4 public IP addresses then everything was fine.

I'm still not sure why Wix cannot work with their customers to allow traffic from known IP addresses...

hardiktechie

No I don't think so that the problem is with WIX, as per my experience in the field on web development. Do one thing, connect your site to the CloudFlare. It will help all your urls to redirect to either www or non www url. Suppose I don't want to use www in urls then cloudflare helps me to redirect all urls to non www url, http ://www.site.com GETS REDIRECTED to http ://site.com 

AND CloudFlare is FREE, refer to some youtube video on how to setup cloudflare on a wix site

mfahey
New Contributor II

The problem most certainly was wix. I have proved it. WIX denies everything and doesn't provide support. 

I have the captures proving their system is closing the connection. I would not suggest anyone use wix.

hardiktechie

And you will also be able to setup free ssl using cloudflare on your wix site

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors