Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fjulianom
New Contributor III

Kernel and System conserve mode thresholds

Hi guys,

I need a clarification about the Kernel and System conserve mode thresholds. According to the NSE4 course, here you are these thresholds:

1. The ambiguity is when the Fortigate has a memory <= 1GB, where the thresholds are the same. What happens if I have a Fortigate with a memory between 512 MB and 1 GB and I have reached 81% of my memory? The Fortigate will enter Kernel or System conserve mode? I can't answer this question from the above slides.

2. What mode is more aggressive? I would say is Kernel since any proxy inspection is bypassed and you can't do any configuration changes, while the system mode at least you can somewhat configure the behaviour with the "av-failopen" command. If I am right and Kernel is more aggressive, it makes sense the Fortigate goes first into system conserve mode (less aggressive) and if the memory usage keeps growing then into kernel conserve mode (more aggressive). But the above thresholds are also ambiguous since taking some numbers you can notice a Fortigate would enter first in the Kernel mode and later in the System mode. Let's say a Fortigate with 512 MB, when the Fortigate has 102.4 MB left (<20%) would enter the Kernel mode, and if its memory usage keeps growing and has 40 MB left, then it would enter the System conserve mode.

What do you think about these two points?

Regards,

Julián

1 Solution
boneyard
Valued Contributor

you are totally right, it is unclear and doesn't seem to make sense for smaller units.

also for the whole effect of kernel conserve mode i couldn't find in a public document. here are two effects, but i see people on this forum say it also blocks traffic in general.

but well, not a whole lot we can do about it, perhaps the whole intention was to act differently at these smaller units.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

Any insight about this?

Regards,

Julián

fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

Any idea?

Regards,

Julián

fjulianom
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

Any idea? The information of the two screenshots I have attached is ambiguous, isn't it?

Regards,

Julián

boneyard
Valued Contributor

you are totally right, it is unclear and doesn't seem to make sense for smaller units.

also for the whole effect of kernel conserve mode i couldn't find in a public document. here are two effects, but i see people on this forum say it also blocks traffic in general.

but well, not a whole lot we can do about it, perhaps the whole intention was to act differently at these smaller units.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors