Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
capricorn80
New Contributor II

Fortinet certifcation

Hello!

I am new to Fortinet world and heard about this product couple of months ago. I haven done my CCNA (R&S) and CCNA security.

I have good understanding of Firewall concepts and have hands of experience on CISCO ASA, CISCO ISE and also Linux.

I am planning to go for either Fortinet certification or Palo Alto depending on how hard it will be to prepare my self in either of these products because I am preparing for CCNP sec and also SSCP as well. 

Anyone guide me how hard it is to get into Fortinet world and preparation plan for certifcation.

Regards,

Cap

9 REPLIES 9
capricorn80
New Contributor II

Hi!

Now I am starting full time with Fortigate FW. Please if anyone can briefly tell about its certifcation path.

I shall be very thankful.

Regards

Capricorn

Alexis_G
Contributor II

Hi Today I passed the NS4 version 5.6 exam.

And i wanted to share my experience.

To your question:

I had experience with fortigates version 4.x ,    5.2.x    5.4.x    (and CCNA also)

I found big differences in the study for the 5.6

I used the self paced trainning program of Fortinet in order to prepare.

AND additioanally i had purchased from www.killexams.com the coresponded quiz

BUT today i realized that the provided questions from above site had NOTHING to do with the real exam.

More specific from 301 question they had provided me ONLY 2 questions  of them aproximately where in the real exam.

If i were not well prepared and was counting on this site i wouldn t have passed this exam.

So take care.

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
capricorn80

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I am working with 5.6 now a days.

Can you please share your study guide for this exam please?

Thanks

Ashik_Sheik

Hi,

The Fortinet Network Security Expert (NSE) is a new, eight-level certification program designed for technical professionals interested in independent validation of their network security skills and experience. The program includes a wide range of self-paced and instructor-led courses, as well as practical, experiential exercises that demonstrate mastery of complex network security concepts.

To earn certification at each of the levels, you must pass a series of tests or an exam. For NSE 1-3, the tests are incorporated into the self-paced learning packages that are hosted on the https://training.fortinet.com/ site. A third-party vendor, Pearson VUE, proctors the exams for NSE 4-8. You can register for these exams at the http://www.pearsonvue.com/fortinet/ site. To become NSE 8 certified, you must pass the written exam hosted by Pearson VUE, plus a practical exam hosted by Fortinet. For more information about NSE 8, click here.

The program is open to Fortinet customers, partners, employees and to students enrolled in the Fortinet Network Security Academy (FNSA). (For more information about the FNSA, click here). The program enables participants to make the most of the power of Fortinet’s network security platform and be recognized in the industry among an elite group of security professionals.

For more information, please visit the [link=https://www.fortinet.com/support-and-training/training/network-security-expert-faq.html]FAQ[/link] page.

NSE certification will help you:

[ul]
  • Validate your network security skills and experience.
  • Demonstrate value to current and future employers.
  • Leverage Fortinet’s full range of network security products, consolidate solutions, and reduce risks.
  • As a partner, accelerate sales and offer new services.[/ul]

Successful completion of the NSE Program involves meeting the following objectives for each level. Click on a level name to get more information about how to certify at that level.

StepLevel ObjectiveNSE 1Develop a foundational understanding of the ever-increasing threat landscape and of common network security concepts.NSE 2Develop the knowledge about Fortinet Security Fabric solutions required to address the threat landscape and security concerns discussed in NSE 1.NSE 3Develop the skills to describe how the features of key Fortinet products are used to create the solutions discussed in the NSE 2.NSE 4Develop the knowledge to manage the day-to-day configuration, monitoring, and operation of FortiGate devices to support corporate network security policies. NSE 5Develop a detailed understanding of how to implement network security management and analytics.NSE 6Develop an understanding of the fabric products that augment FortiGate to provide deeper and more comprehensive network security.NSE 7Develop the knowledge to integrate Fortinet products to deploy and administrate network security solutions.NSE 8Demonstrate the ability to design, configure, install, and troubleshoot a comprehensive network security solution in a live environment.
  • Ashu 

Ashu
    Alexis_G

The study guide (which components are included in the exam) is available public on Fortinet site.

The study material I m afraid i cant due to legal violations .... I m really sorry. :(

Additionally along with the official trainning self paced course there is lab included that realy helps to better understand all the topics. So i suppose its preferable if you could purchase such course and be able to follow the practise with the lab.

What i saw was : lot of question in UTM (web filtering, IPS, antivirus) and for different modes (proxy, flow), some troubleshoting through diagnose commands, inter vdom communication, HA, Various VPN IPSEC and ssl vpn types and routing.

For my self the easiest part (from experience) was HA, routing, diagnose, VDOMs, inter vdom communication.

The hardest part was the UTM with various "flavours" according to different modes in 5.6

So as far for the hard part (for my self) i attach some notes i took as a checklist:

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
    capricorn80

Thanks Alot. I know there are study guide available but Foritgate doesnt have some good book for exam preparation like Cisco got so it becomes little hard to prepare.

capricorn80
    New Contributor II

Fortinet Certifications are better than others.. How? 

Material From?

robertsegundo
    New Contributor

Fortinet develops and markets cyber security software and appliances and services, such as firewalls, anti-virus, intrusion prevention and endpoint security. It is a mid level certification and its not hard to pass. Secondly Palo Alto core products are a platform that includes advanced firewalls and cloud-based offerings that extend those firewalls to cover other aspects of security. Both the certification are not hard to pass but everyone has to be prepared for that.  

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed, I have both   NSE and PCNSE and with experience in both platforms, you can pass with no issues. The hardest thing in PCNSE is remembering NAT rule ( pre and post nat ) and for SNAT  & DNAT 

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2015/12/palo-alto-ace-pcnse-testing.html

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2016/09/pcnse7-exam-review.html

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2018/08/pcnse-certification.html

What makes FTNT and PCNSE much better than any cisco certification are the questions are technical and none of this ;

" what is cisco theory on ...blah bah.."

These are technical exams and deals with technical knowledge. if you work with the fgt or panw series for more than a 1 year, I would go take the exams.

Good luck, read and go over anything that you do NOT do on a daily bases and you should pass.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors