Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
teten
New Contributor

Packet loss Fortigate 80c

I'm currently new in Fortigate and still learning and I hope anyone can help me with this. Our company has Fortigate 80c v 5.0. We have 2 ISP, 10 mbps and 25 mbps. Approximately around 80+ workstation and 40 VOIP phones. I am using the ISP with 25 mbps much more than the other because it's faster. I have a traffic shaping making voice, realtime and rdp as high priority while the remaining will be use by others. Our client notice that we have unstable internet connection on phones. I check with our ISP and said that they conducted a test and found no irregularities with the connection. I installed ping plotter to check the hop and I notice that first hop which is the fortigate is having a huge packet loss. Is there a way to diagnose which causes that packet loss? It's really driving me nuts for weeks now. Hope someone respond. Thanks.  

3 REPLIES 3
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Need to know more about your environment.

Flat network or multiple vlans?

All vlans terminate on gate?

All traffic jumping from vlan to vlan via the same port?

Anytime I have experienced huge packet loss at the Gate level it has been tied to physical layer (cable, sfp, etc) or the port(s) are all on the same NPU/ASIC causing spikes that make it drop packets.

The 80C is old. Probably time to move to an E model as it will peform substantially better anyways.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
teten

Hi Mike. We don't have VLAN just a flat network.  Sorry but I'm not familiar, What is NPU/ASIC? 

teten
New Contributor

You can see on the pic the packet loss starts on the first hop. But when you check other destination it doesn't have packet loss. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors