Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
limvuihan
New Contributor

[Solved] TACACS + Fortigate doesnt challenge on authorization

Hi All,

I have 2 different location device 100D and 600C both device configure with same configuration according to KB. 

100D

- did challenge authorization

- successful overwrite user profile

debug log

fnbamd_tac_plus.c[507] parse_authen_reply-authen result=1(pass) fnbamd_tac_plus.c[282] sock_connect-trying server 1:  fnbamd_fsm.c[1034] fsm_tac_plus_result-Continue pending for req 2025560676 fnbamd_tac_plus.c[360] is_sock_connected-tcp connected x.x.x.x fnbamd_tac_plus.c[528] build_author_req-building author req packet: authen_type=2(pap) fnbamd_tac_plus.c[372] pak_send-Encrypting pkt

600C

- doesnt challenge authorization 

debug log

fnbamd_tac_plus.c[507] parse_authen_reply-authen result=1(pass) fnbamd_fsm.c[822] find_matched_usr_grps-Skipped group matching fnbamd_comm.c[169] fnbamd_comm_send_result-Sending result 0 for req 1187971785 fnbamd_fsm.c[565] destroy_auth_session-delete session 1187971785

I'm wondering why 600C doesnt challenge for authorization since both configuration is same

KB steps is not complete.

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD33320&sliceId=1...

Solved

cli

config user tacacs+

edit xxxx

set authorization enable

9 REPLIES 9
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

same FortiOS (which version we are talking about) ?

both configs truly has 'set authorization enable' in TACACS+ user config on FGT ?

Best regards,

Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet Inc. - TAC Staff Engineer
AAA, MFA, VoIP and other Fortinet stuff

limvuihan

version 5.2.10

only 100D with 'set authorization enable'

600C doesn't

xsilver_FTNT

Hi,

so we are done here and now you see why 600D do not attempt to do any authorization.

Best regards,

Tomas

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't believe it has anything to do with the fortigate model ( 600C or 600D ) btw. Have you upgraded to 5.2.11 which is the latest in that train?

FWIW I have a 80C that does this  just great so I's not a  Fortigate model # but probably more of a  "fortiOS" version imho

Also  ensure you have auth override enable '   set accprofile-override enable '  . I've seen a lot of sec-engineer beaten on why  they don't pull the authorizations from  the AAA servers.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
xsilver_FTNT

Hi emnoc,

good point with override.

Sure it's not supposed to be model issue (at least not on bigger unit, but be aware that lowest ranges has limited remote auth possibilities).

As limvuihan stated in his previous post he did not had "both configuration" as same as he thought so.

And 100D had 'set authorization enable' while 600C had not.

That's why 600C did not even tried to gather authorization and do something more then pure auth.

Kind regards,

Tomas

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The accprofile overide is enable under the "USER" and has a indirect relation to the "   set authorization enable " within  that tacacs cfg cmd

In the OP, he probably does NOT have "accprofile override" for the direct user or wildcard named account.

Again, I'm 100% sure,  and confident it' has nothing to do with the  model#

;)

Here's a C model  run 5.2.11 tacacs cfg btw.

config user tacacs+     edit "ESDescolarprimario"         set server "1.1.1.1"         set key ENC gltbeihm7Q5aysofGUPmdytYtVFb0AuOjCL5HI4u2LqMzfjbHX4d0vDqTnsxL72hTIQmotB7PUJpbYTZF2aD0dEEjhX/K3jELAlJZUuYegDPIR0uUXnBcd/Nt/HcTSMeHBLTMVs2o7EzflZ4VysK8558DeY52a9mTmvY/XVIDlAerUqOomyz1XPiAkGfwiimoffoVg==         set authorization enable     next end

config system admin     edit "wildcard"         set remote-auth enable

set remote-group  miauthorigroupo         set vdom "root"         set wildcard enable         set accprofile-override enable     <-----HERE! if not enable, will not use authorization

next end

I hope that clear it up some what. I would personally do a "show full" from the CLI and validate the cfg before blaming  the model# or FortiOS version#.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
limvuihan

Override accprofile is different from challenge authorization.

override profile just to allow the shell profile to be override existing administrator profile.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

[QOUTE]

Override accprofile is different from challenge authorization.

Okay what is "challenge authorization" ?  What is an example?

Keep in mind that fportiOS really does NOT support the  true function and definition of  tripleA ( AAA )

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Kevin_Morales

So, I need to create a username into Fortigate  to be allowed to login ?, 

---

Kevin Morales

--- Kevin Morales
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors