Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kenundrum
Contributor III

Security Fabric VDOM Support?

So the security fabric functions are currently not supported on devices running with VDOMs enabled.

Has anyone heard any info on when this is going to be fixed?

You would think that a function that is designed to help multiple devices work together would be supported on devices that within the same chassis have multiple firewalls that need help working together! It doesn't seem like it is too much of a stretch to make it work- just set fabric settings per VDOM and treat every VDOM as a unique device (just like they are intended). I know it's not an API problem because the API is totally capable of handling multiple VDOMs. At this point the only thing the fabric function does with VDOMs is allow you to offload traffic to a FortiWeb/Mail/Sandbox device for further inspection. This is really annoying!

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
13 REPLIES 13
Steven_Usher
New Contributor

I must say I was disappointed to discover you cannot use the Security Fabric on a FortiGate where a VDOM is in use :(

I would say this is a rather big over site and i am surprised there are not more comments on this page.

tanr
Valued Contributor II

Make sure to request Security Fabric VDOM support from your Fortinet contacts. 

Makes it more likely we'll actually get it one day.

Malefunk
New Contributor

I just spent some hours trying to discover why there are no Security Fabric options .. here i found the solution - we use vdoms on every FW...

This should definitively be possible!

virtualj

I'm very disappointed for this. In FortiOS 6.0.0 same limitation.

NSE 7

NSE 7
jishanalli

This is very strange they are saying that you should configure security fabric in your edge device but it should not have VDOM enabled then what is the use of security fabric. Of course, security fabric will not enable the branch device. It's really annoying. I think Fortinet should think about this seriously. At one point they marketing that they are having security fabric where other does not have.

CCIE-Security, CISSP, CEH, CCNP, CCNA, FCSNSP, CCSA, ACE, JNCIS-security, MCSA, MCP

CCIE-Security, CISSP, CEH, CCNP, CCNA, FCSNSP, CCSA, ACE, JNCIS-security, MCSA, MCP
walvis
New Contributor

I'm deeply disappointed that vdoms are not supporting CSF, I don't really understand why Fortinet Sales are putting so much effort on something that most of the deployments won't support(In my case 80% of installations have vdoms enabled..)

bommi
Contributor III

Hi,

in 6.0.x I have the "Security Fabric" menu in every VDOM.

Some of the Security Fabric Features are only listed in the Global Section.

Regards

bommi

NSE 4/5/7

NSE 4/5/7
Kenundrum

6.0.x has the same problem as the other versions. You see the security fabric menu. When you try to enable it with VDOMs turned on, the only items you can do is offload scanning to dedicated devices. You do not have the option of enabling fortitelemetry between fortigate devices. The documentation clearly states that security fabric is not supported on devices with VDOMs enabled.

For what it's worth, i have ended up re-architecting in a way that I need less VDOMs overall. I'm on a path to remove the need for VDOMs based on current usage without actually needing to buy more firewalls. The primary driver was for easier management, but the ability to see all the traffic in the FGT interface with the telemetry going between devices is a plus.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
walvis
New Contributor

Hi Bommi,

yes, even in version 5.6 you have the menus for Security Fabric but apart of showing the Topology, you can not enable the useful features to have visibility of your Fortinet devices and the Security Audit. That is due to the vdom limitation for CSF.

Regards,

Walvis

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors