Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MikeMo
New Contributor

FSSO Collector Agent Problems

This is a tough one and I will be thoroughly impressed if someone were able to give me any advice that could help solve this issue. Fortinet support is having trouble solving so I'm reaching out to the community for help. I'm going to provide a little background (sorry it's a little lengthy but I think it helps understand the issue) on our issues with FSSO and then get into our current issue. Hopefully someone has seen this problem and can offer some suggestions as to what the problem might be.

Background:

We've been using FSSO for around 8 years. We initially installed a single collector agent in DC Agent mode. We had 8-10 internet auth groups and things seemed to run fine. We then decided to add a second Collector for redundancy. Things still ran as expected.

A few years later, we started authenticating our laptop users to our wireless network (802.1x/PEAP) via Group Policy configurations. This introduced our first set of issues with FSSO. We found out that when users had both a wired and wireless network connection at the same time, FSSO would randomly have issues. We discovered that the way in which Windows DNS servers/clients operated was playing a role in the auth failures. Turns out, when doing something like PEAP to auth wireless connections via the user account, DNS entries for the client would be handled in a way that confused FSSO. The FSSO collector would thing you were authenticated to an IP it wasn't expecting.

For example, suppose you log into your laptop with both a wired and wireless connection enabled. When you first connect your system to your network cable/dock/whatever, the wired adapter will register itself with DNS on a DHCP segment. The FSSO collector agent would see your user account authenticated to this physical nic IP. Then, when you logged into the domain, your wireless adapter would authenticate your system (via your user account) to the network and overwrite your previous DNS entry with a name that resolves to your wireless IP. FSSO would now see your wireless IP as authenticated for your user account. Generally, the physical NIC was first in the binding order so when you would go to use the internet, your traffic would source from the physical NIC. Since FSSO uses DNS to lookup the names of systems during auth for the firewall, FSSO would not be able to identify your user account with your system's DNS record as it would only authenticate you properly if you were sourcing from the wireless IP. Turn off your wireless card and generate a login event and the problem goes away. Disconnect your physical NIC and it's resolved.

This drug on for a long time without any known way to resolve this. Windows sucks at handling multiple network interfaces properly and there really wasn't any enterprise-ready solutions for disabling adapters if multiple were detected. Also, the way DNS operated on a client seems silly (I have no idea why if you have two different IPs, you can't have to different records in DNS - design flaw maybe). So, at Fortinet's recommendation, we switched to polling mode. Shortly after, with some minor tweaking to the events we were monitoring for, our problems went away.

Suddenly, earlier this year, the problem resurfaced with a new twist. This time, when the internet auth issue occurs (sporadically but often for the same users) the FSSO collector agent isn't seeing an authenticated user at all. However, when we pull our domain controller logs, the user has log entries indicating a logon event. We found that restarting the FSSO service on both collector agent servers was the quickest way to resolve the issue and when the next logon event was generated it would force the user to properly show up in the collector user table. 

Initially, we found that all of the people who experienced were authenticated to a new domain controller we added earlier this year. So we were heavily looking at this system (firewall ports, etc.). We spent lots of time collecting logs only to have Fortinet tell us what we already knew in that the user wasn't in the FSSO auth table.

Today I discovered something different that may help narrow this down. We had a person experience the problem and while collecting logs I found the same symptoms as usual - not in the user table in FSSO (unauthenticated) even though there are logon events. We asked that we hold off on restarting services so we could troubleshoot the issue. However, before I got too far down the troubleshooting path, the issue was suddenly resolved. The user had accessed a file share and generated a logon event during the process. I was able to capture the events and sure enough there was a new logon event that the collector agent had picked up. 

I thought about this for a bit and I'm starting to wonder whether or not the FSSO collector agent is having issues handling the amount of events it is processing via polling mode. I say that because there are periods of times (days even) where we don't have the issue at all. Then, other days, we have it multiple times a day. This incident today almost seemed like the agent was behind in processing/polling events and eventually "caught up". I'm thinking we should switch back to DC Agent mode but I'm concerned the wireless issues might resurface.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance!

Current Environment:

Collector Agents: 2

Domain Controllers: 15

Polling Mode: Check Windows Security Event Logs

Changes that may have had an impact this year: A new domain controller, authentication of wireless switch from user based to machine based prior to login and user based post login - so computers are connected prior to logins, and we upgraded to 5.4.X (this seemed to start before we upgraded to 5.4 I believe)

1 Solution
xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi MikeMo,

so in dhort you have two issues ..

#1 single IP in DNS causing FSSO believe your workstation is on one IP and therefore secondary IP (NIC) is unknown to FSSO Collector Agent (CA).

This is known issue of MSFT enviroonment where DHCP server OVERWRITE instead of update workstation's IP DNS record. Not-a-FSSO issue.

Solution are simple. Use DNS which can hold concurrent IPs, or make the records for example in case you have semi static DHCP, or the best way, allow trusted workstations (authenticated) to update their DNS records, as it's per NIC feature then every single NIC will update it's own DNS record resulting in multiple A records fro the workstation name in DNS. This works even on MSFT DNS. Feature is called Dynamic DNS Updates on MSFT.

FSSO CA can handle up-to 4 IP per user logon, effectively creating 4 FSSO user records (and pushing all 4 to connected FortiGate(s)).

There is no need to switch to polling for that.

#2 polling sometimes missing user.

From provided info it's hard to even guess.

I'd turn on debug level logging on CA (do not split user logons, so both logon and processing info will be in the log), increase size to ~50MB and wait for user lost event. Then check log. If there is too much logging so log runs too fast to keep track, then in Advanced menu is option to point that log to external Syslog server.

Check the logout actions and workstation checks on CA.

Also watch fow WMI logoff done by DC, in this case or if there is no WMI support on DC (which should be in since Win2000) then in Advanced menu you have ability to turn off WMI logoff detection to keep user regardless what WMI said.

Non WMI workstation checks use Remote Registry service which by default does not run on Win workstations. CA would report the user in list as not properly checked and dead entry will apply to such user CA was unable to verify.

Best regards,

Tomas

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet stuff - TAC Staff Engineer

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jackjohn
New Contributor II

I use FSSO in only limited users.

Some issues that I encounter would be :

- Windows firewall service needs to be started. but in control panel . better to disable firewall.

- I install FSSO collector in AD, it turns out catching more users login. polling mode.

- try to change my FSSO collector agent order. one agent could be have problems

xsilver_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi MikeMo,

so in dhort you have two issues ..

#1 single IP in DNS causing FSSO believe your workstation is on one IP and therefore secondary IP (NIC) is unknown to FSSO Collector Agent (CA).

This is known issue of MSFT enviroonment where DHCP server OVERWRITE instead of update workstation's IP DNS record. Not-a-FSSO issue.

Solution are simple. Use DNS which can hold concurrent IPs, or make the records for example in case you have semi static DHCP, or the best way, allow trusted workstations (authenticated) to update their DNS records, as it's per NIC feature then every single NIC will update it's own DNS record resulting in multiple A records fro the workstation name in DNS. This works even on MSFT DNS. Feature is called Dynamic DNS Updates on MSFT.

FSSO CA can handle up-to 4 IP per user logon, effectively creating 4 FSSO user records (and pushing all 4 to connected FortiGate(s)).

There is no need to switch to polling for that.

#2 polling sometimes missing user.

From provided info it's hard to even guess.

I'd turn on debug level logging on CA (do not split user logons, so both logon and processing info will be in the log), increase size to ~50MB and wait for user lost event. Then check log. If there is too much logging so log runs too fast to keep track, then in Advanced menu is option to point that log to external Syslog server.

Check the logout actions and workstation checks on CA.

Also watch fow WMI logoff done by DC, in this case or if there is no WMI support on DC (which should be in since Win2000) then in Advanced menu you have ability to turn off WMI logoff detection to keep user regardless what WMI said.

Non WMI workstation checks use Remote Registry service which by default does not run on Win workstations. CA would report the user in list as not properly checked and dead entry will apply to such user CA was unable to verify.

Best regards,

Tomas

MikeMo

Tomas,

First thank you for the response. The email notification from Fortinet must have gotten trapped in spam because it's October and I'm only now seeing this. I will attempt to make some of the changes you recommended. We are in the process of migrating away from Microsoft DNS for a number of reasons and I hope that will help. Also, I will review the WMI suggestion and take appropriate action.

For issue #2, we've used debug level logging with Fortinet support and they weren't able to find anything. However, I will attempt to track the dead entries as you suggested as that sounds promising.

That said, it looks like you are one of the resident experts here. What are your thoughts on using DC Agent mode versus Polling for a larger enterprise? Fortinet generally recommends DC Agent for large environments but they were the ones that suggested polling to us a while back. 

Thanks again!

xsilver_FTNT

Hi MikeMo,

#1 DNS problem can be solved even on MSFT DNS server. This is not a reason to migrate anywhere.

#2 better to open technical ticket on support, hard to troubleshoot from minimal data and forum is not ther best place for extended troubleshooting.

From my point of view there is not a single and "The only right way" to FSSO. Every solution, regardless if agent or agent-less based has certain pros and cons. Yes, some are sort of universal, but none of them is ideal for everyone.

For big corporate slow changing environment I would personally preffer agent mode (DC/TS-Agents). But your corporate security policies or DC admins might complain/restric or even prohibit 3rd party SW on DC, so polling and agent-less ways will be your best choice.

Final solution need to be tweaked to the needs and variables of the environment where it's supposed to serve.

If you plan a bigger implementation, maybe get in touch with our Professional Services team for advise/sizing/design or implementation assistance.

Best regards,

Tomas

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors