Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Casemaker
New Contributor

Unique User Statistics.

Hi,

New entry level Fortigate 200D Admin. I want to be able to track unique users on my WiFi public network. The WiFi is an Aerohive network for public guest users. I run daily, Web Usage Report and Bandwidth and Application Report. Within the Bandwidth and Application report, under Traffic Statistics there is an line entry for Total Sessions with 3,182.507 and the statistic. We never have that many users or am I reading this entry incorrectly? Also, is there another report I could run to get only wireless clients. I have both wired and wireless running through the 200D.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Sessions =/ Users. A single user can bump through some sessions.

The Gate is going to tie sessions to the number of open connections or unique traffic streams each user has. For instance, If I launch Bittorrent on my computer right now I can have over 1000 sessions. My crypto wallet bounces me up to over 3k and that is just for me as a single user. Never mind the rest of the users on my device.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
Casemaker

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your post. Would it be possible to add all the AP's to one switch and have one port on the Fortigate handle all the traffic. We use a Captive Web Portal to grant permission to connect. What about collecting the CWP acceptances.

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors