New FortiWiFi 60D setup best practices for multi-zone security monitored home network?
I am new to Fortinet, but eager to learn how to deploy my new FortiWiFi 60D in my home lab network.
1. Setup different security zones, using VLANs I think, that segregate high risk guest traffic, medium risk production traffic, and highly secure financial & network admin vlan subnets from each other.
2. Setup a highly secure network admin workstation that can log, monitor & analyze any traffic that appears suspicious, as well as monitor & control traffic QoS and bandwidth utilization.
3. Use security policies to restrict guest wifi access and blacklist inappropriate websites, content or mobile devices that launch detected malware-based network attacks.
4. Use network security best practices at all times to create a stable, secure SOHO network that will support both my creative production work AND my interest in learning more network administration & security theory & practice.
My FortiWiFi 60D came with firmware version 5.2.3, build 670.
My questions for more experienced users are:
1. Should I upgrade my firmware, and if yes, at what version/build number should I stop in order to get a stable platform that will support my above goals?
2. Is there any good cookbook info online for setting up a network admin workstation that is optimized for real time network monitoring & administration?
Thanks in advance for any help offered. Appreciate you taking the time to help someone who is just coming online.
Live long & prosper!