Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TheChosenOne
New Contributor II

Create Link Aggregation (802.3ad)

Hi Forum,

I want to create a new Interface on my 240D using Link Aggregation.

The Fortigate want's me to assign an IP-Address to the Interface. But why? "Normal" Ports are just assigned to my default Network and this is want I wan't to do withe the new Link aggregation Interface, too.

I think I have a problem in understanding how the fortigate is using link aggregation interfaces. The manual wasn't very helpful. Maybe one of you can explain to me how to aggregate pysical Ports and add them to my network.

Thank you and best regards,

Kai

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

as the FGT in "Routing/NAT" mode is a router it expects non-identical networks at each port. So, like with any other physical port, you assign an address to a LACP port.

As LACP is on Layer 2 it doesn't really need IP addresses on each end. The ultimate use of a port will be to connect the FGT to a network. For that, it needs an IP address.

Try creating other ports, i.e. VLAN ports. You can't get away with NOT assigning an address to it.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

agreed here's what we do ( tag over LAG  bundle )

config system interface     edit "etherLAG01         set vdom "root"         set type aggregate         set member "port1" "port2"         set snmp-index 413     next     edit "LAN012"         set vdom "root"

set type vlan         set ip 10.1.12.1 255.255.255.0         set allowaccess ping https ssh         set snmp-index 672         set interface "etherLAG01"         set vlanid 12     next  edit "LAN013"         set vdom "root"

set type vlan         set ip 10.1.13.1 255.255.255.0         set allowaccess ping https ssh         set snmp-index 673         set interface "etherLAG01"         set vlanid 13     next end

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Toshi_Esumi

This is how we put multiple vlans on an aggregate interface on a 1500D under multi-vdom environment. May not apply to your environment though.

config system interface

edit "CISCO-MPLS"         set vdom "root"         set vlanforward enable         set type aggregate         set member "port3" "port4"         set snmp-index 50     next     edit "port3"         set vdom "root"         set type physical         set snmp-index 5         set speed 1000full     next     edit "port4"         set vdom "root"         set type physical         set snmp-index 6         set speed 1000full     next

edit "v3004aaaa"         set vdom "aaaa"         set ip x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252         set allowaccess ping https ssh capwap         set vlanforward enable         set snmp-index 102         set interface "CISCOPath"         set vlanid 3004     next     edit "v3005bbbb"         set vdom "bbbb"         set ip x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252         set allowaccess ping https ssh         set vlanforward enable         set snmp-index 82         set interface "CISCO-MPLS"         set vlanid 3005     next   <and many more vlans> end

JPMfg
New Contributor

ede_pfau wrote:

as the FGT in "Routing/NAT" mode is a router it expects non-identical networks at each port. So, like with any other physical port, you assign an address to a LACP port.

As LACP is on Layer 2 it doesn't really need IP addresses on each end. The ultimate use of a port will be to connect the FGT to a network. For that, it needs an IP address.

Try creating other ports, i.e. VLAN ports. You can't get away with NOT assigning an address to it.

In the Web-GUI interface IP-address field the string "0.0.0.0/0" is a place-holder for "no ip address". If you want to remove an IP address from an interface, simply enter this string.

Any interface with "0.0.0.0/0" in the GUI as the IP-address will have no IP address assigned. (CLI config is clearer this way, you won't see any "set ip-address ..." in the CLI).

JPM
JPM
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors