Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Storyteller
New Contributor

Accept; Defer Disposition

What does it mean in log?

Regards,

Graziano.

8 REPLIES 8
Bromont_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Deferred because of Outbreak protection or for Fortisandbox inspection.

Storyteller

Is there the possibility that I receive this email with some delay in opposite to a simple "accepted" email?

Regards,

Graziano.

ede_pfau

Yes, definitively. Defered mails are delivered with some delay, like minutes, to be able to scan them. Mostly I see this with FortiSandbox which can take up to 30 minutes (the default hard limit). Depending on the number of URLs and the size and type of attachment a FSA scan takes 1-5 minutes.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW: Greylist can also creat Deferred email delivery or path interruptions between the sender-receiver and so on

It's not a bad message btw.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

For greylisting you should see delay rather than defer for the disposition.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

For greylisting you should see delay rather than defer for the disposition

Will it needs to be taken in context of the sending MTA.

A greylisting ESA is going to delay the sender but at the same time the sender will have mail_queue as "message deferred". This is not a hard bounce or failure

Depending on the receiver and greylisting mechanism employeed ( ironport , postfixgrey , barracuda, etc..... ) you might get a nice  4XX messages or nothing at all.

Bottom line greylisting  can cause a sender to have deferrals,  same as any other AS mechanism  like throttling.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

You are right. I was only referring to what can be displayed in FortiMail logs as a disposition.

Cheers

smaqueda

I am still a bit confuse with Defer Disposition 

not sure exactly how it works, any input will be greatly appreciated. 

if you whitelist an email it would skip defer disposition?

Thanks

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors