Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dirceualbrecht
New Contributor

Firmware update for 2 Fortinet 90D running in HA mode.

Hi guys,

We have two Devices running in HA mode:

Config:

Device 01 (Master)

Device 02 (Slave)

Firmware version 5.2.5 Build 701GA

It shows  a available version 5.2.10 for update.

But we are not sure about this update in that case. Running the firmware update at the Master device it will replicate to the Slave? or we need to do this update individually on each device?

Thanks in advance for any help

Dirceu Albrecht

5 REPLIES 5
bommi
Contributor III

Hi,

the upgrade will be done on all devices automatically, as described here:

http://help.fortinet.com/..._operatingFirmUpgd.htm

Regards

bommi

NSE 4/5/7

NSE 4/5/7
ede_pfau

v5.2.11 is the latest - use that one.

before anything else:

!!! read the Release Notes for v5.2.11 !!!

to check the recommended upgrade path - otherwise you could lose parts of the configuration!

This web resource is even more stringent:

http://cookbook.fortinet.com/sysadmins-notebook/supported-upgrade-paths-fortios/

Then, re-read the RN to learn how your configuration is affected by this update.

If you prepare the upgrade in a focused manner you will be rewarded with a smooth operation. (I'm telling you from experience...)

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
dirceualbrecht

Hi,

For sure i will look at this with careful and attention. I appreciate your help. That informations will be very useful Thanks a lot

Dirceu Albrecht

Mansi_Rao
New Contributor

To my knowledge it is better to update individually in order to make data valid, as the versions are not same.

Device 01 (Master) Device 02 (Slave)   Firmware version 5.2.5 Build 701GA It shows  a available version 5.2.10 for update.

but the kind of configurations you made between master and slave could help you in updating latest versions.

(Ignore if not valid)

Mansi Rao

ede_pfau

Jeez, who's yelling in bold print??? shame, shame

Actually, rereading this thread, I'd just start the upgrade using the Web GUI (that is, on the master). Master unit will store the new image, update the slave and then start updating itself. Runs smoothly very, very often.

Of course, it won't be bad to save both the master's and the slave's config before you start. They are not identical, and the slave's isn't easy to get at. You may do with storing it on a USB stick.

Just remember to stick to the Recommended Upgrade Path so that the config is copied over safely. Check config errors (like parameters which are not supported anymore) with "diag debug conf read" in the CLI.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors