Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BrianV
New Contributor

FortiOS 5.6 - SSL Inspection Settings Greyed Out

I've got a 60D running 5.6. I'm trying to enable some simple IPS rules like RDP brute force, FTP brute force, etc. Enabling the IPS on a policy requires adding SSL Inspection to the same policy. While I don't mind cert inspection, I don't want to do deep inspection. Granted, I'm not routing traffic through a MITM proxy on the Fortigate, all of the "deep-inspection" settings are on but entirely greyed out. I can't for the life of me figure out how do adjust any of these settings.

Any advice? Image attached.

3 REPLIES 3
BrianV
New Contributor

JFYI, I've somewhat circumvented this by enabling "Mutliple Security Policies" which now at least allows me to create separate SSL inspection policies and enable them on each policy accordingly.

hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello Brian,

What you did was correct. You were trying to modify the default "deep-inspection" profile which is not allowed now in 5.6. To create a different one, you need to allow "Multiple security profiles" and create a new one.

As for the question of the Fortigate forcing an SSL-Inspection profile on a policy, if you select certificate-inspection, the Fortigate is not doing a MiTM. It is only scanning the hostname.

Homing

isisjerry

I don't see how creating a second SSL-Inspection profile allows me to turn off that feature. It allows me to change some traits but I still can't disable it completely.

In case you are wondering how to turn on "Multiple security profiles": 

System > Feature Visibility > Multiple Security Profiles

Jerry

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors