Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ijn
New Contributor

metro

Hi

i have a mystery in my server rack:

i have a metro line 200/200 in my office, the fiber connect to a fibernet and from there it go into alcatel os6450-10m

that work as a bridge and convert the fiber to Ethernet (layer 2). till here all good.

the Ethernet go out from the alcatel into a Cisco 1841 and from there into fortigate 100D

i'm new in my company and no one can tell me what the Cisco does.

no one know his user or password it don't have ip just mac.

one tech said it work as a modem and convert from wan to lan

another one told me i don't need it and i can disconnect it (if i try to connect the alcateel directly to the 100D the internet go down)

does some one have any solid idea what the Cisco job is , and if i can bypass it?

thanks ahead

Israel

2 REPLIES 2
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Option1: password recovery at Cisco 1841

Option2: ask your ISP what IP and method they're providing and check what is configure on the FG's interface connected to C1841, then guess what it's doing. Likely providing a combination of NAT and DHCP/PPPoE toward both ISP side and FG side.

Option3: Ignore what C1841 does and just configure the FG to terminate the ISP circuit to meet their requirement.

I would go option2 then option3 unless your getting additional public subnets from the ISP to do special NAT/PAT to/from internal IPs. Regardless you have to know what the ISP is providing first.

ijn

thank you for your replay

because the metro is our door to the internet we check it in baby steps.

it will take us a few days to find the right time to take down the net and try your option.

thanks again 

israel

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors