Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rstefano
New Contributor

Web Application Firewall Inconsistencies

Can someone explain why these and other phenomenon happens after an upgrade to 5.x from 4.x?

1. User clicks on this link within an email http://www.icmc.usp.br/~mcmonard/public/laptec2002.pdf

The firewall running 5.4.4 blocks this link under the WAF as a "known exploit" If I shut that off, the link passes. My question. Is this a false positive because ever since upgrading the WAF has been blocking a shitload of content.

2. User receives a daily digest (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheHackersNews/~3/Y7H5FF7-MYU/browser-camera-microphone.html?_m=3n%2e...) that was fine before the upgrade but now is blocked. Many other inconspicuous sites are getting blocked as well under "generic attacks". The only way for these sites to work is to turn this off. I never had to before. Why now?

Should I wipe it clean and start fresh?

2 Solutions
bommi
Contributor III

Did I understand you right, you are using waf profiles for your users internet access rules?

NSE 4/5/7

View solution in original post

NSE 4/5/7
bommi
Contributor III

The waf profiles are a new feature of Fortios 5.4, therefore you never seen this ;)

You mean that this feature was activated after the upgrade? I have never seen this happen.

Just keep in mind that this feature should only be used on policys which protect the access to your own webservers from untrusted networks.

NSE 4/5/7

View solution in original post

NSE 4/5/7
5 REPLIES 5
bommi
Contributor III

Did I understand you right, you are using waf profiles for your users internet access rules?

NSE 4/5/7

NSE 4/5/7
rstefano
New Contributor

I just asked them to check this. In the old config it wasn't even turned on. Why would that happen after an upgrade to 5.xx?

Thanks

bommi
Contributor III

The waf profiles are a new feature of Fortios 5.4, therefore you never seen this ;)

You mean that this feature was activated after the upgrade? I have never seen this happen.

Just keep in mind that this feature should only be used on policys which protect the access to your own webservers from untrusted networks.

NSE 4/5/7

NSE 4/5/7
rstefano
New Contributor

That makes sense but the fact that it was turned on in an outgoing policy after the upgrade is a mystery to us (or perhaps someone isn't telling me something)

Cheers and thanks again

theronmad

i think it was been a bug

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors