Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
KPS
New Contributor III

OpenVPN seen as Hotspot.Shield

Hi!

I am using Fortigate 5.4.4 systems, but there is a problem with the application control:

If I am running openVPN through a Fortigate, the connections are dropped from time to time, because the app changes from openVPN to Hotspot.Shield (which is blocked by a rule).

Is there any possibility to avoid this behaviour without disabling the app-ruleset?

Thank you and best wishes,

KPS

4 REPLIES 4
hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello KPS,

Can you get a packet capture for me? I will check it and if it's a False Positive, we will fix the signature. You can send me the file through a PM.

HoMing

KPS
New Contributor III

Hi HoMing!

Thank you for your answer!

Can you give me a hint on how to capture these packages? The problem is, that the stream is seen ass app "OpenVPN" correctly, but after some idle-time, the classification changes from "OpenVPN" to "Hotspot.Shield". If I configure the sniffer-filter with the layer-4 filter "udp port 1194", I have tons of data on which the classification changes at some point.

Is there any possibility to capture packages and filter on "application=Hotspot.Shield"?

Thank you

Regards,

KPS

hmtay_FTNT

Hello KPS,

Can you send me the Application Logs and Forward Traffic Logs so I can take a look at it first? We can then decide how to filter the sniffer to catch the packets.

HoMing

hmtay_FTNT

I am updating the discussion here for future reference. I modified one of the Hotspot.Shield signatures to fix the false positive. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors