Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ThePro
New Contributor III

Bridge 2 Networks

I have a client with a FGT50E (running 5.4.1) & a cheap home/office D-Link router (both with their own ISP and subnet).

Is it possible to bridge both networks so devices from one subnet can view/access the devices on the other subnets? (while keeping both the Forti and the D-Link; I would take the D-Link out, but they don't want to, at least for now).

5 REPLIES 5
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

These devices are in the same location?

Does the crummy dlink have the ability to set static routes?

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
ThePro
New Contributor III

[style="background-color: #ffffff;"]It does, but only for the WAN interface. I will try to upgrade the firmware to see if it lets me do them on LAN as well (I see screens of this same interface that do both WAN/LAN. I will see if theres a firmware update available for this POS.[/style]

jesquivel

Manuel Gonzalez wrote:

[style="background-color: #ffffff;"]It does, but only for the WAN interface. I will try to upgrade the firmware to see if it lets me do them on LAN as well (I see screens of this same interface that do both WAN/LAN. I will see if theres a firmware update available for this POS.[/style]

Good morning/afternoon,

We are trying to do something similar at our company. We have two buildings next to each other and are wanting to bridge them together. I don't know what your circumstances were, but would you mind sharing how you were able to solve your dilemma?

Thanks so much,

Jordan Esquivel

sw2090
Honored Contributor

Well after all: since your two devices are in own subnets you wil either have to do some kind of "mapping" from one to the other. You could do vip on the FGT or create a NAT Policy on it for traffic to the dlink's subnet.

Annother way might be to set up static routing  alas you would need that on both sides (Dlink AND FGT) then. Once you have a route to that subnet you don't need to NAT or VIP anymore.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Just create an IP address on an interface on the FGT that matches the subnet on the DLink and plug that into any LAN port on the DLink. Set up your policies and it is just like any other network.

Additionally, if the DLink subnet folks need resources on the Fortigate, create Virtual IP addresses on the FGT. That should work since they will appear to be on the same segment.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors