Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SaVen
New Contributor

Default gateway for Management Interface

How do we set a default gateway for management interface that wont interfere with system routing table when VDOM's are enabled. I don't see dedicated-mgmt. option.

11 REPLIES 11
aagrafi
Contributor II

You can place the management port into a separate VDOM of its own. Then make this VDOM the management VDOM. This way:

a. The default gateway of the mgmt VDOM won't interfere with the system's routing table and

b. The mgmt traffic won't interfere with the real data traffic.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I would not waste a vdom for  this imho

If you want OOB management and have aux or mgt interface just configured these for mgmt use

e.g

config sys interface

edit "mgmt"

set ip 11.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

set allowaccess ping https ssh snmp fgfm

set type physical

set dedicated-to management

set description "MANAGEMENT OOB ACCES"

set device-identification enable

next

end

Now under the  HA cfg

config sys ha

set ha-mgmt-status enable

set ha-mgmt-interface "mgmt"

set ha-mgmt-interface-gateway 11.1.1.254

end

That interface will not be in any vdom RIB table.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Kenundrum

The problem is that if the management interface is in the same subnet as the traffic interfaces, it would interfere with the routing and possibly send some traffic out the management interface instead of an accelerated interface. The set dedicated to management only worked if the ip was in a different subnet. So it was not possible to have the FGT processing traffic at 192.168.1.10 and have out of band management only interface at 192.168.1.12, for example.

I opened a case about this some years ago running some version of 5.2.x and was told this was by design.

I was told (not by fortinet) it has been tweaked in more recent firmware where there is a quasi-hidden vdom that separates the routing of dedicated management interfaces and doesn't eat a vdom license, but my configurations already include a separate management only vdom so i can't readily test it.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
HA

Hello,

config system settings set allow-subnet-overlap enable

Regards,

HA

SaVen
New Contributor

So looks like I cannot configure mgmt. interface with an overlapping IP address without a separate mgmt. vdom ?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

the paused quasi  vdom is known as dmg-vdom btw. You have a interesting  challenge, but my 1st question is what do you need the  mgmt interface in the same network as non-mgmt  interfaces?

I just check  a new  FGT3240C deployment  that we have going on,  and we have the mgmt interface address in the same  range of a VDOM interface btw and that interface is the GW for the mgt traffic.

Not how I would design it but it is what it is ;)

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
SaVen
New Contributor

Just a small correction /24 subnet about to use for mgmt. interface is non-overlapping and it is a standalone firewall(vdom enabled)so I cannot use ha-mgmt.

Looks like system dedicated-mgmt. auto disables after we enable vdoms.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FYI

If your standalone than HA mgmt does not apply  as you figured out. So in your case you want to use mgmt interface that are dedicated and not part of a VDOM per-se

Why don't you set mode A-P in HA and just ignore having a "peer cluster"

Than enable the ha-mgmt 

e.g

config sys ha 

set group-name "CLUSTER1"

set mode a-p

set password mybadA$$P@$$w0rd   

set ha-mgmt-status enable

set ha-mgmt-interface "mgmt"

set ha-mgmt-interface-gateway 172.17.1.1

set priority 250

set sync-config enable

set encryption enable

end

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Phinestra200
New Contributor III

Hi Emnoc,

i have a question please. in a ha Env, in your config proposition : what  11.1.1.254 represent ( switch which mgmt is connected?) or ?

"config sys ha     set ha-mgmt-status enable     set ha-mgmt-interface "mgmt"     set ha-mgmt-interface-gateway 11.1.1.254 end"

we have a 300E a-p cluster in 5.6.4.

we're triying to configure access to cluster through a Virtual IP address and both individual IP of each cluster unit.

the management subnet is 10.10.10.0/26

the switch wich the 3 ports (mgmt,port2(unit1) port2(unit2))  is 10.10.10.10/26

we reserved the IP 10.10.10.1/26 for "mgmt" port for the access to the cluster.

we reserved port2 for dedicated access for each unit with IP 10.10.10.2/26 ( unit 1) and 10.10.10.3/26 for unit 2.

in config sys ha,  we've enabled the option  "management interface reservation" and set the default gateway to 10.10.10.1 (the IP of the mgmt port). not sure about the Gateway

IN CLI (extract from full config)

set ha-mgmt-status enable     config ha-mgmt-interfaces         edit 1             set interface "port2"             set dst 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0             set gateway 10.10.10.1             set gateway6 ::         next     end

we are unable to access the second unit, only the master O.o

it is a correct way to configure and individual cluster unit access?

i've followed the online help but the didn't specify what the default gateway refered ....

thanks in advance for your help.

Phi.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors