Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mwkirk
New Contributor

User is a member of Multiple Groups

So.... 

Two FSSO groups General Users and Social Medial.  I have two identical Firewall Policies except that one has a filter profile that references the General users and the General Filtering Policy.  The other references the Social Media group and policy....

So...The way it works is that once it gets a User Group match then it processes that policy. It's a firewall and that's the way it works....  So, basically the policies need to be arranged from least restrictive to most restrictive. You can only really support a single match.

The only question I have is I thought there was a concept called Fall-through rules or something like that introduced in 5.2 which could support multiple group matches.  Is that something that does exist and/or my expectations of what it actually does are incorrect?

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I really never seen fall-thru but have you ran diag debug flow  and follow the policy execution & selection

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
EshChad
New Contributor

mwkirk wrote:

So.... 

Two FSSO groups General Users and Social Medial.  I have two identical Firewall Policies except that one has a filter profile that references the General users and the General Filtering Policy.  The other references the Social Media group and policy....

So...The way it works is that once it gets a User Group match then it processes that policy. It's a firewall and that's the way it works....  So, basically the policies need to be arranged from least restrictive to most restrictive. You can only really support a single match.

The only question I have is I thought there was a concept called Fall-through rules or something like that introduced in 5.2 which could support multiple group matches.  Is that something that does exist and/or my expectations of what it actually does are incorrect?

Did you ever manage to find out what happens with a user with multiple groups? I'm in the same boat.

KingHolly
New Contributor

Mostly adding these notes for others that may come across this question. These two Technical Notes/Tips provide information on fall through behavior for unauthenticated users.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors