Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
slemke
New Contributor II

Problems with "certificate inspection" on Google.com

Hello,

I have a weird problem with webfiltering, certificate inspection (NOT deep inspection) and google.com on a Fortigate 50E, v5.4.4

When I try to open google.com I get an ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED - on several PCs with FF,IE,Chrome - all the same error; other https sites are working.

Again - I do not have the deep inspection configured only the certificate inspection, therefore I do not have a CA root from the FGT installed (then other websites won´t work as well).

When I disable either the ssl inspection or webfilter completely it works. I have tested this also with a FGT60D on 5.4.4 - same error. On the 60D with 5.2.10 everything was fine.

The configuration is attached below.

Any ideas, any known bugs?

Thanks

Sebastian

config firewall policy     [...]     edit 22         set srcintf "lan"         set dstintf "wan1"         set srcaddr "PC UTM Temp disabled"         set dstaddr "all"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "ALL"         set utm-status enable         set webfilter-profile "default"         set profile-protocol-options "default"         set ssl-ssh-profile "certificate-inspection"         set nat enable     next       [...] end config webfilter profile     [...]     edit "default"         set comment "default web filtering"         config ftgd-wf             config filters                 edit 1                     set category 2                     set action warning                 next                 edit 2                     set category 7                     set action warning                 next                 edit 3                     set category 8                     set action warning                 next                 edit 4                     set category 9                     set action warning                 next                 edit 5                     set category 11                     set action warning                 next                 edit 6                     set category 12                     set action warning                 next                 edit 7                     set category 13                     set action warning                 next                 edit 8                     set category 14                     set action warning                 next                 edit 9                     set category 15                     set action warning                 next                 edit 10                     set category 16                     set action warning                 next                 edit 11                     set action warning                 next                 edit 12                     set category 57                     set action warning                 next                 edit 13                     set category 63                     set action warning                 next                 edit 14                     set category 64                     set action warning                 next                 edit 15                     set category 65                     set action warning                 next                 edit 16                     set category 66                     set action warning                 next                 edit 17                     set category 67                     set action warning                 next                 edit 18                     set category 26                     set action block                 next             end         end     next     [...] end config firewall ssl-ssh-profile     edit "certificate-inspection"         set comment "SSL handshake inspection."         config https             set ports 443             set status certificate-inspection         end         config ftps             set ports 990             set status disable         end         config imaps             set ports 993             set status disable         end         config pop3s             set ports 995             set status disable         end         config smtps             set ports 465             set status disable         end         set caname "Fortinet_CA_SSLProxy"         set certname "Fortinet_SSLProxy"     next end

8 REPLIES 8
hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello Sebastian,

You configuration looks fine. Can you send me a packet capture when you try to access the Google site with the issue you are having? I can take a look at the pcap for you to see if the Fortigate tried to intercept the Certificate and potentially other issues. Thanks!

HoMing

lolaat

Hello

did you use forticlient?

slemke
New Contributor II

Good Morning,

I will take a packet trace today or tomorrow. I will send you the download link via pm, ok?

Forticlient is not being used.

Regards,

Sebastian

hmtay_FTNT

Posting the discussion from our PM here for references in case other users run into similar problems.

This is a bug that happens when the Web Filter is enabled but does not have either the FortiGuard categories or Static URL Filter enabled. The Web Filter in this configuration has the option "set options ftgd-disable" which disabled the FortiGuard categories. Static URL Filter was not used too. When this unusual combination is used, the FortiGate, in simpler terms, "overscanned" and caused this problem with Google's new signature hashes. 

An immediate fix to this problem is to enable one of either the FortiGuard categories or Static URL Filter. A better solution if none of them are being used is to not enabling Web Filter at all.

HoMing

Agent_1994

hmtay wrote:

Posting the discussion from our PM here for references in case other users run into similar problems.

This is a bug that happens when the Web Filter is enabled but does not have either the FortiGuard categories or Static URL Filter enabled. The Web Filter in this configuration has the option "set options ftgd-disable" which disabled the FortiGuard categories. Static URL Filter was not used too. When this unusual combination is used, the FortiGate, in simpler terms, "overscanned" and caused this problem with Google's new signature hashes. 

An immediate fix to this problem is to enable one of either the FortiGuard categories or Static URL Filter. A better solution if none of them are being used is to not enabling Web Filter at all.

HoMing

HoMing, i believe that i have the same problem at a customer's. It's a 300D cluster running 5.4.4 (upgraded on dec/2016). 

Users are reporting that they can't access Google's sites, i went to the site and captured data using wireshark. 

On the capture i saw that the connection never got past the "client hello part". From my point of view Google's reply to the TLS hello was an ACK and then a FIN/ACK.

I found your post, created a web filter profile with some categories blocked and all the others set to monitor. Apparently this didn't solve the issue. I'll go there tomorow. 

However, i must ask: all you have to do is assign a web filter profile with fortiguard categories or static url filter set to the policy?

TIA

hmtay_FTNT

Hello Agent 1994,

Yes, either the FortiGuard category or Static URL filter should do the trick. Your issue might be a different one then. Can you upgrade to 5.4.5? The bug was fixed in 5.4.5. If you can send me the pcap, I can check for you.

HoMing

KordiaRG
New Contributor

I had similar issues with 5.4.3 on FG300D.  I upgraded to 5.4.5 and the issues went away.  May or may not be related, but worth getting the latest version.

Rich

Xpeful

I got the same problems on our guest-wifi Fortigates without SSL-Inspection. (Fortigate 60D FW 5.4.5)

We're using a personal guestportal in our LAN. After connecting to the guest SSID the Fortigate redirects to this portal.

If you try to access it via Chrome the problem occurs (similiar to the first one, it says that the connection is unsecure >> only on google sites before redirecting to the guestportal).

If you try to access it via Samsung Internet Browser >> no problems... 

Any ideas to that case?

Thanks!

Regards

Lukas

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors